Power Trim Leaking

RickN

Cadet
I have a 1980 115 HP Johnson and replaced the power trim motor. The power trim works great until the fluid leaks out in about a month or so, then you have to refill it. It appears to seep out around the "o" rings on the main hydraulic piston. I know the correct way is to take it off the motor, remove the hydraulic system and replace the "o" rings in the pistons, but a friend told me that I could use ATF automatic transmission fluid/with the stop leak in it and that would work to stop it from seeping out. Is this true or do I have pull the motor off, and dissassemble/repair the trim? I spent allot of work getting the motor working good, and want to launch the boat ASAP.<br />Thanks Rick

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Power Trim Leaking

Patience "grasshopper"...<br />Fix it properly, ASAP. Then have no worries as to it's condition. You'll thank yourself in the end...

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

Remember if fluid can get out water may get in

MrPriapism

Recruit

I have the same issue with the only visible leak being around the two pistons that tilt/trim. Is it possible to replace these two sets of rings(?) while the unit is still on the boat? There seems to be enough access, I just have never done this. Thanks, Tim

RickN

Cadet

Can anyone explain the correct way to replace the "o" rings, what Tools I need and what is the best place to order the Parts?

RickN

Cadet

Does anyone know where I can get diagrams of the Lower unit, and a blow by blow method to changing the "o" rings in the power trim? It looks like you can change them without pulling the motor off the boat?

RickN

Cadet

Does anyone know where I can get diagrams of the Lower unit, and a blow by blow method to changing the "o" rings in the power trim? It looks like you can change them without pulling the motor off the boat?

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Your best bet would be to order a factory manual. Will tell you how to do it exactly.

RickN

Cadet

Thanks for the reponse. I have a factory manual which explains how to rebuild the motor etc. but doesn't get into the power trim. I think the trim unit is manufactured by some hydraulic company. I can see that the two smaller pistons unscrew, my concern is that I am great at taking things apart buy putting them back together is another story!<br />Rick