Bottom Paint. I quit. Really

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
I broke my *** for 2 weeks on the bottom of my boat. Used peel away on one side, and just the pressure washer on the other. Sanded the whole thing. Cleaned the whoel thing with mineral spirits. Followed the directions on both the primer and the paint to a "T". <br /><br />Hauled the boat out today, to work on the transducer, and it's a good thing I did. See the pics below. I am about to pop a vessel. <br /><br />I don't know what I'm going to do. Don't know when the boat is going back in the water. At first I thought maybe it was residual peel away. But it not, because, A) I only used peel away on one side, and B) the primer is still there, the final coats came off. <br /><br />I hate boats. <br /><br />
bottom01.jpg
<br /><br />
bottom02.jpg
<br /><br />
bottom03.jpg

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bottom Paint. I quit. Really

Don't feel too bad, bottom paint is one of the most difficult issues I have run into with boats as well. I've even seen the paint companies and boat dealerships at odds on this issue.

Mahoney

Chief Petty Officer

stuff is going to grow on the bottom regardless of what you do. unless you are concerned what the scuba divers in the marina are looking at, I would just chill a bit and enjoy your nice boat.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

No way Mahoney! That needs to be painted properly, or else he'll have a garden on the bottom of his boat! <br /><br />I can't imagien why that would happen. Did you use a different brand primer?

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe your boat is just too fast....peeled the paint clean off. :D <br /><br />Sorry. know how frustrating it can be when you follow directions and it still doesn't work.<br /><br />Let us know what ya come up with.<br />BPG

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Cleaned with mineral spirits? Was this recommended in the process?

Matt Smith

Cadet

Call the paint manufacturer and tell them what happened. Request that they send a rep out to look at the problem, and see if they will help with the fix.

bubbakat

Captain

Clean it with a vinergar and water solution next time and you will notice quite a bit of difference in adesion

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Yes - Mineral spirits on the instructions. <br /><br />It's in the water all year so it needs the paint. It will be a barnacled mess by October. <br /><br />I've calmed down now. I had an extra gallon of paint left over so I returned it and picked up some Interlux ablative. I hit what's left on the boat with the pressure washer and it's stuck on there. I'm going to do a quick sanding and coat it with the interlux. Hopefully that will stick. I don't know what to make of it. Guy at boat store said he's sold the paint for 10 years and had no problems. <br /><br /> :eek:

surprise

Cadet

The stuff used to get the gelcoat to "release" when the boat is made has wax in it. Wax is left as a residue, maybe this is the problem? My brother has worked at a marina for a long time and he recommends using ammonia to get rid of the wax. Worked fine on my boat when we took it back down to gelcoat and barrier coated it.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Bubba, I'll try that. <br /><br />Suprise, the boat is 7 or 8 years old, no gelcoat release wax left on it.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I painted my 1997 Harris-Kayot this winter, I called Pettit to find out what had to be done to the bare fiberglass. The rep told me it could be 20 years old and it will still have release wax on it.<br />I used Pettit dewaxer and 80 grit sandpaper, then the de-waxer again. I hope I fair better than you. I used the new Pettit Vivid paint. Its supposed to be shinier and look better when the boat is on a trailer.

bossee

Hi,<br /><br />I have my boat in freshwater (in a river that float out in the largest lake here in Sweden). The river water has a "brown" color usually and is not that clear. So after a season my boat in not pretty to look at under the hull... (see picture below). But a few hours with high pressure water and it is as new. <br /><br />The buttom paint seems to be rather much work to do periodically. Hope the Interlux paint will be better for Your boat! Good luck.<br /><br /><br />
freshwater.jpg

Ralph 123

Captain

Was the primer from the same manufacturer and recommended before bottom painting?<br /><br />Clearly, it didn't fully bond to the primer. The question is why. Was primer wet? Did the primer need to be sanded first? Did you get a bad batch of primer and/or bottom paint? <br /><br />I'd be concerned until I knew the answer because who's to say after a few more weeks in the water the rest won't come off?

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I'm hitting it with the pressure washer, and what's on there is stuck on there good. I think it will be OK. I think it happened at launch day, and the paint eventually hardened up and bonded after the damage was done. <br /><br />The paint and primer were the same brand, and it was the exact primer indicated on the paint can, both Aquagard. Only thing I can think of was that it was kind of damp out the days I painted, not raining but definitely damp. Maybe the paint didn't fully cure in 2 days. Can says to wait 24 hours before launch. I waited 48. Who knows. <br /><br />Bo. that's a cool trailer, never seen anything like that on this side of the pond. Nice looking boat too.

bossee

Hi Steve,<br />Just wanted to show the trailer has a tiltable "bed" also where the boat is lying. I think not many trailer manufacturer has this solution.<br />That makes the trailer so easy to use, by one person if needed. The boat is always centered correctly on the trailer sideways, the boat forced by gravity and the black solid rubber wheels in center+the small grey wheels to be exactly in the middle of the trailer (except if boat hull has very little V-shape when it might not work as easy as with my boat that has 21 deg. V-shape).<br /><br />
REG1350.jpg

mattttt25

Commander

what paint did you use?<br /><br />i learned a painful lesson 2 years back about bottom paint. don't skimp on it. pay the premium.<br /><br />i know use interlux micron csc. approx $170 gal. no primer required. sanded bottom, cleaned with spirits, roll it on. thick, thin, it doesn't matter. lasts 2-3 seasons between coats.<br /><br />good luck-

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

First time it was AquaGard (89/gallon). This time I bought Interlux. Not the Micron, the ACT I think it's called. If this sticks, next year I'll use the Micron, but I couldn't see paying $169 for a gallon of paint that I wasn't sure was going to stay on the boat.

mattttt25

Commander

you should be fine. if it's the same as the micron csc, you can put in on as thick as you want. they even recommend slopping an extra coat on at the keel. ablative paint is the only way to go. self polishes, yet really lasts. from my experience, the only wearing i experienced was at the water line towards the stern. i'd recommend an extra coat there before you launch. you probably won't have to repaint next year, maybe some minor touch-up.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

She's repainted. Going to drop it back on the trailer hopefully tomorrow, paint where the blocks were, then maybe in the water Wednesday. <br /><br />Was a pain but this interlux is definitely a different paint. Went on thicker, is a lot 'sticiker', and hopefully it will stay on the boat this time. And it sure looks good with a fresh coat of paint on it (for the second time this year....).