1977 70HP Johnson Controls HELP!

Mnemonic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey yall, <br /><br />Just picked up a 15' 1964 Fiberglass Chris Craft with a '77 Johnson 70HP OB on the back for a couple hundred...<br /><br />Problem is the controls are stuck. It goes into foward gear but wont go back into neutral or reverse... seems stuck. Any idea how i can fix this? I cant start the motor cause of the neutral safety in the controls.. <br /><br />I knew about this problem when i bought it today, but i would rather fix it then buy new controls and rewire them..<br /><br />Thanks for the help in advance :)

Walker

Captain
Re: 1977 70HP Johnson Controls HELP!

The inner workings of the control box are not all that complicated. Open it up and take a look.

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like your throttle cable may need replacing. Also take a look at this link: iShopMarine.com <br />Item 2 is a common wear item which may cause your problem. Take a close look at the teeth on it and see if they are worn.<br />Anyhow good luck.

plmoss21

Cadet

I have a '76 johnson 55hp and had the same problem. The gear in the box has slipped it is simple to fix. Pull the gear off being careful of the springloaded ball bearing, now push the cable to where it is all the way in reverse and and put the gear back on be careful of the safty button inside. I advise you to grease the inside of the box before putting it back together.