Might have screwed up this winter

keculp

Recruit
I have an 18 hp Evindrude (1967) that has been on the transom for the previous 4 years I have owned the boat. This winter was a little more harsh than others and I decided one evening to pull to motor and place it in the garage. I placed it horizontally on the ground and it sat very stable until early this spring. <br /><br /> When I placed the motor back on the transom I noticed a little streak of oil that had run down the lower unit from the seal between the oil case and the main shaft body. I forgot to drain the oil before I put it on the floor! The oil did not drain to the point it even got to the floor but I'm concerned the seal will leak either the oil out or let water in now.. <br /><br />Its a great little motor and I don't want to cause more problems that I might have already. <br /><br /> Does anyone have an opinion on whether this is a problem or not? Should I take it to the mechanic or change the oil as I have done and take a chance everything is fine. <br /><br />Thanks for any advice.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Might have screwed up this winter

Welcome!!<br /><br />The lower unit oil should not leak out even if the motor was upside down. Smell the oil. If it smells like fuel then it could be residule fuel/oil. If it is indeed lower unit oil the you really need to pressure and vacuume test the lower.

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class

drain your oil and see if any water is in it , refill with fresh oil and replace the vent & drain seal I live in pa and never drain my oil over the winter it can cause rust in the lu gears run it and recheck your oil

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

More than likely, it's just residual unburned fuel from the previous season that had collected in the top of the gearcase and was given a route out when you laid it down... Check the lower unit oil for water in any case...<br /><br />- Scott

keculp

Recruit

Thanks everyone, I will drain the oil and make sure there's no water and then move on from there<br /><br />-Kevin