40 HP, inknown vintage

kevin500

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings. I have a 1966 Owens 14' 'glas with an OMC motor of some sort, I think, maybe, possibly. It is a 40 hp (according to the cowl)and the model is 40DE 18V and the serial number is C411197. I can't reference these numbers anywhere, double and triple checked for accuracy.<br />Any ideas what this animal is? It was repainted a couple of time, seems blue under the other stuff.<br />Thank you.

alcan

Commander
Re: 40 HP, inknown vintage

Hi Kevin <br />You have an OMC, Gale, 40hp, DE (deluxe electric). Sorry I could not come up with the 18V in my lists,so i can not date your motor exactly. My guess is early sixties. This should be close enough for ordering parts.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I can't make any sense out of that model number, but the serial number appears to come from the early 60's. Does it have a shell over the midsection? Any hope of a picture?<br />It could conceivably be some kind of military model, perhaps for our Navy.<br /><br />EDIT: Ahh, it's a Gale. I see now. :) The highest I've got is a 40DE17, which is a '63. That suggests yours is a '64 - I'll try to find that model number.

kevin500

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you. I sure know more now than I did earlier. The motor runs like it just came out of the factory, so I did not want to deep six it. I am new to boats, but old at vehicles. Now I know where to start finding a manual of some sort for this puppy.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Any Johnson or Evinrude manual will work fine for that engine. You can normally get factory Gale manuals here:<br /> Kencook<br />And they're by far the best, but like I said before, I don't see your model # there. Might be worth an email to them though.

kevin500

Seaman Apprentice

I just came back in from rechecking the numbers again, definitely 40DE18V. I can't seem to find it written about anywhere though... Gotta figure out the wiring, some is just hanging there...<br />but I have a starting point, so.. Off I go!!<br />Thanks for that!

Paul Moir

Admiral

I drew this up for my '62 28hp. Maybe it'll be some help to you:<br /> Schematic, Click here. <br /><br /> The only thing I can tell about it by the serial number is that it was made before '65 and likely earlier than '64. I wonder if that 8 ought to be a 6, or perhaps it's simply a misprint. '63 was supposed to be the final year for Gale afterall.<br /><br />'62 Gale Catalog (German)<br /><br />Good luck!

kevin500

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the wiring diagram. Sure helps. I can wire up fuel injection in any year of vehicle, but I can't wire a boat without a picture. Go figure!! <br />Must be a problem with the plate on the motor, it sure says 18V. That is the only part of the plate that is easy to read.<br />Happy trails.

kevin500

Seaman Apprentice

This just in!!!!!<br />When i removed the 4-5 layers of paint from the side of the cowl, lo and behold, it says VIKING on the side!!! <br />No way to tell if it is the proper cowl though... The side piece that says "Viking" is cracked, part is missing. <br />Are there any places available to get the side piece for the cowl, without buying the whole cowl? It is just a plastic strip, doesn't have to say Viking.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ok, that makes a lot of sense - the Viking was of course Eaton's brand outboards. In Canada only. I've had trouble finding a definitive list of model numbers but it seems they basically just used Gale's (and later Chryslers) normal numbers. <br />It might be worth trying Twin City Outboards, but your best luck would probably be scavanging the local outboard junkyards. It may end up being easier to replace the whole cowl with an E/J one.

kevin500

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you, I will try them. Shakopee is close, just south of us here. Believe it or not, there are no boat salvage yards here, and the dealers here try to squeeze every penny out.