motor shaft length question????

ksboater

Cadet
My motor model number is E150ANCRS. Can anyone tell me what the shaft length is.<br /><br />If I put a different motor on my boat is it important to put the same shaft length motor and why, assuming it's at least long enough to clear the transom.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Big Tater

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: motor shaft length question????

Shaft lenghts are usually 15, 20, and 25 inches. Measure from the clamp bottom even with the transom (where it sits on the transom), down to the (usually) anti-ventilation plate (largest flat plate above the prop). Keep it the same

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I'd like to add that we're not talking about the actual length of the shaft. Whatever length the shaft has to be to fit a 15", 20", or 25" high Transom would be a more appropriate description. Typically the're called shortshaft, longshaft, and extra-longshaft. Most 150s would be longshaft, but there are certainly extra-long models. Probably no shortshafts for that horsepower. I believe the lack of an X in your model number defaults to a longshaft.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

The simple way to look at shaft length is: since the motor is designed so that anti-cavitation plate is supposed to be even with the bottom of the boat, the shaft length should = the transom height.<br /><br />The transom height is simply measured from top to bottom in the place the motor attaches. The motor's shaft length is measured from the point where it hangs on the transom to the cavition plate (above the prop). <br /><br />This does't really add to what others have written, but might help you decide what's best if you replace the motor.