Prop for 05' Tahoe Q4 SF 4.3

scottjima

Cadet
Re: Prop for 05' Tahoe Q4 SF 4.3

An update...<br /><br />I talked to John and purchased the 1290 60lb tabs. I've installed them and am very happy. On this particular boat, the swimdeck has molded areas on either side of the outdrive. There was little room for the install, but I was able to make it work.<br /><br />1. Plane at lower speeds. It definitely does this. My first test was w/ the max load of people/weight in the boat. Before the tabs, the bow would raise a whole lot, and it would take a long time to plane. The rise is now minimal, and it will plane at lower speeds.<br /><br />2. Drift side/side at slower no-wake speeds. Gone...<br /><br />3. Haven't had much time to play w/ this. My initial reaction is that it has improved.<br /><br />I haven't had time to test high speed yet. I was unable to go past about 44 the other day, but we had 1100lb of people in boat. Previously, I hit 49 w/ the motor trimmed out.<br /><br />I still haven't replaced the prop. I will do this, but wanted to make sure of the size/pitch after installing the tabs.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Scittjima;<br /><br />Glad to hear you are happy!<br /><br />Before you change the prop (I am not saying that you should not change it - that is up to you) please make sure that you get an increase in speed with the tabs (2 mph or so). If you are running slower it simply means that you need to reduce the pressure. Check the manual!<br /><br />Once you have maximized the performance with the Smart Tabs, you will then be able to choose the best prop. I would look at the aluminum Turning Point three bladed (cupped). Extra blades are good for increasing acceleration to plane but that should not be an issue now. They also help in stability in turns, but that should not be an issue either. They tend to limit the top end because of additional resistance and they tend to cause a torque list for the same reason.

madera

Cadet

SCOTT, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE SO FAR WITH WITH PROP SELECTION, I HAVE SAME BOAT BEING DELIVERED THIS WEEK?

scottjima

Cadet

Haven't done anything w/ the prop. Buy the 60lb smart tabs. They are more than worth it and completely transform the boat.<br /><br />I will probably end up buying a 3 blade SS prop and carry the standard as a spare. It came w/ a 23P and that seems to be the correct size.<br /><br />Please let me know if you have any other questions. I have about 23 hours on it now, and I am still learning about this boat. I've only seen seen one other on the water.<br /><br />Make sure yours has the turn key start feature installed prior to taking delivery. Mine was apparantly an early 05' and had the retrofit kit from Mercury installed on it. I received a recall from Mercury about a plug missing from the back of the carburator. Simple to just screw the part in... However, to have this recall officially performed, I have to take the boat in to a dealer. 3+ weeks from everybody despite the 5 min repair job... I am not happy about that as I am not supposed to be running the boat until this is resolved.

madera

Cadet

scott, can you e-mail photo of smart tabs installed on your q4? what effect did you notice with this installation? if you can call my cell # (559) 647-5636

QC

Supreme Mariner

BTW, I have confirmed that full down tab does virtually eliminate low speed wander. Cool!!

sumcat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Scottjima: I too just purchased a Tahoe Q4 SF 4.3 and have mostly porpoising and low speed wander. I would like to install Smart Tabs but as you say, it's crowded back there. Would love to see a picture of your install. Did you have problems with stern tiedowns or bunks? Thanks

scottjima

Cadet

I will try to get a picture posted this afternoon. It is very crowded back there, but I was able to make it work. Ideally, I think they should be installed at the far outside edges, but I had to move inwards a little. The tie downs do interfere w/ the smart tabs a little, but they still work. I will probably replace the original tie downs w/ boat buckles. I've purchased them, just need to install them to the trailer.<br /><br />The smart tabs will correct the problems you are having. I am still finalizing the adjustments, but have seen huge improvements. My top speed prior to the tabs was 49 verified by GPS. Last outing, I hit about 53.<br /><br />Good luck w/ the boat. I'll try to get the pic posted later this afternoon/evening.

sumcat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

scott those are great pictures. Unless it's an illusion it appears the hinge is on the 9" side of the plate. I assumed it was the 12" side. John was not available but the girl at Nauticus said it was the 12" side but tech support at Overtons.com said the 9" side. What say ye? Thks

scottjima

Cadet

Must be an illusion. I can try to take better pics next time I get the boat out. It is a little cramped right now. They are on the longer side, and are predrilled so that it can only be mounted one way. Either way, you know they will work. Don't remember if I mentioned it, but John recommended the 60lb version rather than the 80lb.

sumcat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks scott. will get mine ordered. Don't know who you ordered from but the Nauticus web site has a $25 rebate coupon for some vendors.

93bronco

Ensign

scott -<br />i have been looking at the Q4 SF - overall how do you like the boat & have you noticed or have any flaws on the boat?<br />do you like the inboard & did you consider the OB version?<br />also if you had to do it over again would you make the same selection?<br />-<br />sorry for the ???'s<br />i would really like a splendor cat (more stable for my injury) but 35k is alittle out of my reach.<br /><br />the Q4 is alittle more in reach.<br /> thanx

scottjima

Cadet

Overall, I like the boat. I looked at a Larson 18.7' and a few others and thought they were better built. I do like the fact that the v-hull is not as deep as the others I looked at. They probably handle rough water a little better, but I should be able to run in a little shallower water. <br />I was able to get a bigger boat (by about 1 - 1.5') at about 2k less. This is our first boat and I had no idea what to expect.<br /><br />I am reasonably handy w/ repairs, so little things like tightening screws, electrical repairs, etc. I can/will do myself. The engine/drive are the same, so that didn't matter to me. I would prefer the fit/finish to be better, but I don't really have much to compare to.<br /><br />Regarding the I/O vs Outboard... I would rather have an EFI outboard, but I chose the I/O because of the higher power to cost ratio.<br /><br />We have about 30 hours since April. I might look at deck boats if I were doing things again. I would also really like fuel injection vs the carb.

sumcat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2K BOAT: I have a new Q4 SF with 190hp 4.3. For fishing I would prefer the OB but did not want to wait 3 months. Dealer talked me into this combo for resale value and it's probably true. It wanders at low speed,with 2 aboard and the OD tucked all the way you take a pounding if you plane in even light chop. The trailer cross members are very low and I had to change launch sites. Overall I like the boat and hope Smart Tabs will correct some of it's faults.

madera

Cadet

has anyone purchased after market bimini top or cover for 2005 q4sf-i/o, if so from whom and what sizes

snogs

Recruit

I have a 2007 Tahoe Q4, and I'm thinking about installing smart tabs. Does anyone else have pictures of their install?
ScottJima's website seems to be down.