Charge Coil 30 ohms Out of Spec - Buy a New One???

realboats

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Currently breaking down a 1986 Johnson 110hp cross-flow and just pulled the flywheel, timer base and stator assembly.<br /><br />I just did an ohmeter check on the charging coil. The specs call for 560 ohms plus or minus 25 ohms. One side measured 557 so that's well within spec. The other side measured 505 ohms which is 30 ohms outside the allowable window. Now, I realize that I should get a new stator according to the manual. But is being so close to spec a common occurance with these, and do you think the charging system will work "good enough" with this coil the way it is? I'm wondering if the coil measured this resistance when it was new. If possible, I would like to get by with this coil while I put some additional funds aside. This stuff is not cheap! <br /><br />A couple of side notes. My engine is apparently a converted Sea Drive. I have both parts catalogs for the '86 1.6L Sea Drive and 110hp conventional. The ignition systems are almost identical with the exception:<br />- Sea Drive timer base part # is 583128 and the 110hp is 583127. My engine has the 583127 (Sea Drive model) Wondering what the difference is...<br /><br />-Sea Drive has a rectifier, part # 583076 with a gasket, while the 110hp does not have a gasket and a part # 395391. Number on my rectifier is 584423??? No idea what that part number belongs to.<br /><br />Any ideas on the stator, timer base and recifier?<br /><br />Thanks!

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Charge Coil 30 ohms Out of Spec - Buy a New One???

are you checking charging coil or charge coil?<br />minor difference is ok if motor functions ok<br />do you have a rectifer or a rectifer regulator?<br />reg. is water cooled only way to test is engine running

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> at 30 ohms I would not sweat it. but it shows why I rarely do Ohms tests. do a spark test and a charg coil output voltage test.if ya have good spark at a 7/16ths gap there are no other output tests to run. if no spark then its time to test charge coil voltage output. skip the ohms test. I have seen to many pass all the tests except the voltage output one and thats the one that counts.

realboats

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi. I don't have the manual here with me, but I did what I thought was the charge coil test as described in a page in the manual next to the sensor coil test. Can you tell what the difference is between a charge coil and charging coil? This is a twin power pack system and the stator assembly has two plugs coming out of it where the resistance is measured. <br /><br />I'm running the water cooled recitifier. It's part number 584423 that I was finally able to cross-refference through one of the aftermarket suppliers to the original OMC rectifier #583076.<br /><br />I agree, Rodbolt, a spark test and voltage test is the absolute way to know for sure. Unfortunately, the timer base is fried so I wasn't able to run the engine to do that. Again, should have just waited untill it was back together before freaking out.<br /><br />Was up 'till the wee hours of the morning researching ignition components, part numbers and differences between sea drives and standard mounted engine. I've learned that there is virtually no difference at least as far as ignition parts go. My engine is actually a sea drive converted to conventional mount. <br /><br />I should have done more research before bugging you good folks. <br /><br />So the old stator assembly is going back in after I clean it up. The metal pickups (if that's what they're called) along the side are kind of rusty. Any recommendations on how to clean those? I thought a scrub pad or some very light sanding. I'm wondering if the sides of the stator are scuffed a little or if it's just my imagination. Jeez, that's all I need at this point is to have a bad crank bearing.<br /><br />So it looks like about $275.00 worth of new ignition parts will get the ignition/electrical part of the system back to 100%. Not as bad as I feared initially.<br /><br />Thanks for your inputs!

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class

charge coil provides primary ignition voltage (brown and brown/yellow wires)<br />charging coil "stator" provides ac voltage to rectifer or rect/regulater to charge battery yellow wires