flywheel for evinrude

chavonbravo

Cadet
i'm looking for a flywheel for my 1990 Evinrude 200HP looper engine, and can't find any info on what the casting number is. could anyone please help out? this forum has already helped me alot, it rules!

johnrude

Seaman Apprentice
Re: flywheel for evinrude

call (856)785 9455 ask for Joe. barnacle bills marine supply

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

why do you need a flywheel? is the inner mag loose or just the outer ones ?

chavonbravo

Cadet

seems that previous owner did a pretty crappy job of regluing the magnets, and it seems that when engine got hot, slowly the glue started melting and dripping on stator and timer base and all that, and now the flywheel is kinda messed up as is timer base.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

can you knock off all the magnets and use a coarse wire brush and clean all the old glue and rust off?<br /> as long as the taper,keyway and inner mag are ok the mags can be replaced easily. unless there is some type of mechanical damage, a picture would help.

chavonbravo

Cadet

i guess i could do that. it's just mechanic told me i needed a new flywheel. maybe i could just fix the one i have. how can you replace the outer magnets? where do you get them?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> any jonnyrude dealer will have the mag kits. each kit has one magnet and a pack of epoxy. the key is a super clean oil free flywheel. most do it yourselfers apply to much epoxy. to much epoxy is like to much silly cone.<br /> use a hammer and a wooden rod and lighty tap on each magnet to see if its loose. hote the magnets are notched at one end all notches MUST face the same direction. its easiest to knock all the mags loose to clean the flywheel.<br /> the kits are about 15 dollars apiece.if the old mag is not broken its reusable. I use 7/16x14 bolts between each magnet to space them. the book shows clamps to hold them but I dont know anyone that ever used them they will hold themselves. its a common problem with the 35 amp flywheel on the loopers.