Using AMSOIL Saber 2- Stroke Oil in 76 RUDE

I have been thinking about running AMSOIL SABER outboard 2-stroke oil in my 1976 V-4 RUDE 85 HP, or maybe Pennzoil's fully synthetic two stroke oil. AMSOIL says to mix their product at 100:1 -- seems pretty lean. Pennzoil says to mix at 50:1.<br /><br />I would like to try them to help keep smoke and odor down -- the old lady whines about it when we go crabbing and fishing.<br /><br />ANybody got any advice? Rumor has it that synthetic oils burn cleaner with less smoke. I have also heard that your not suppose to use them in older outboards which have had a steady diet of non-syn oils.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Using AMSOIL Saber 2- Stroke Oil in 76 RUDE

You are gonna get more advice than you ever dreamed of, LFL. :D

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ask your Amzoil rep if they will buy you a new engine when yours goes "Up-in-smoke" running a 100:1 fuel mixture. Just because its synthetic does not mean the mixture can/should change. Stick to 50:1. It will smoke less and plugs will last a longer.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Any oil you can get today is better than anything available back then. Even the cheap stuff. I wouldn't spend the extra money. That motor has a lot of wear on it already. Switching to synthetic at this point is like closing the barn door after the cows get out.

BillP

Captain

Use any oil that meets the mfgs specs. That means oil with the NMMA TCW certification...now TCW-III. Many oils, including the one you mentioned, do not have the official TCW-III certification...but they say to use their oil where TCW is specified while you are calling the cows back home. Synthetic does burns with less smoke.

Javelin 353

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1990 70 hp johnson I switched to the Pennzoil blended oil much less expensive than synthetic but better than regular oil the blend or synthwetic has a lot less smoke I would not use the amsoil on your engine just my .02 worth.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Seems that your main concern - apart from the mix ratio, which should stay at 50:1 - is less smoke and smell.<br /><br />Mixing the above advice - get the cheapest oil that'll do it - like Javelin says. Else you're just burning money - and that really stinks!<br /><br />Ciao

DHPMARINE

Captain

This is not very scientific,but just my two cents.<br /><br />Back in 1982 had a customer buy a new V-4<br />Johnson.He ran it on Amsoil at 100:1.It blew up at about 15 hours.Can't prove a thing,but in all these years it's the ONLY new Johnson I've seen blow up.Fortunately OMC covered the powerhead,and the customer changed to Johnson oil.<br /><br />DHP

Walker

Captain

I wouldn't use Scamsoil on a rusty hinge. Well, maybe on a rusty hinge but not in an engine.<br />If it was as great as all their hype then all the manufacturers would by recommending it.

walleyehed

Admiral

I'm a not a gonna touch that one......... :rolleyes:

phatmanmike

Captain

i use synthetic oil on everything from my lawnmower to grandmas country buscuits instead of gravy...makes em go down smoother and come out with less smoke and grumble

RRRKKK

Cadet

I too thought about the Amzoil at the 100 to 1 I think it would work as synthetic is a different kind of oil. but on that old a motor I don't think I would change I use the Pennzoil blend fron Wal_Mart you can get it anywhere it not too pricy and it does reduct the smoke almost completely I have a 1991 60 Johnson triple fresh powerhead, while I not a big Pennzoil fan this works for me.

RRRKKK

Cadet

Originally posted by Ron K:<br /> I too thought about the Amzoil at the 100 to 1 I think it would work as synthetic is a different kind of oil. but on that old a motor I don't think I would change I use the Pennzoil blend fron Wal_Mart you can get it anywhere its not too pricy and it does reduce the smoke almost completely I have a 1991 60 Johnson triple fresh powerhead, while I not a big Pennzoil fan this works for me. We used to use full snythetic in motorcycles everyone we tore down was rusty inside.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds to me like the synthetic stuff should be banned. Sure must be a corporate conspiracy in the works. No wonder we invaded Iraq. We needed more conventional oil to do away with the evil synthetics...... ROFLMAO! This board is usually informative and reliable. This thread just makes me spray the screen!! ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!! :D PENNZOIL for ever!!!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is nothing wrong with using synthetic oil. They are simply better lubricants. It's the 100:1 mixture that's the problem. Synthetic and synthetic blends have been around for years and are excellent lubricants. My nine-year old Evinrude 40 has seen nothing but synthetic blend and runs just great. But just because they are synthetics doesn't mean you can safely cut the mixture in half. (Unless like I said earlier, Amzoil will buy you a new engine every time you blow one up).

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

LFL stirred the pot and left.

Walker

Captain

2cycle_chart.gif

No -- I'm still here -- just listening. I am going to go with the Pennzoil Syn Blend XLF at 50:1<br /><br />Thanks everyone for the advice,