8hp won't run at full throttle

malagodi

Cadet
1987 8hp won't run at full throttle. Acts like the mixture is way off.<br /><br />I can't push the choke all the way in or will rev up and die at any throttle position.<br /><br />Previous owner said it sat for a year, but he was savy enough not to leave gas in the carb.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 8hp won't run at full throttle

Welcome to iboats malagodi!<br /><br />Get yourself a carb kit and clean and rebuild the carb. You don't get all the gas out by just letting it "run dry". Make sure you hose out all carb passages with carb cleaner and follow up with compressed air. If you can get some carb cleaner and soak the carb for a while would even be better.<br /><br />The give a-way is the choke. By closing the choke plate, you are really forcing gas into the carb. Shouldn't have to do this and 9 times outta' 10 is caused by a gunked up carb.<br /><br />If ya' need help with the carb, get a manual (OEM preferred) or we can help ya' out some.<br /><br />Good Luck!

malagodi

Cadet

Got the manual for it today and the rebuild procedure looks way too complicated for me to try myself.<br /><br />Think I should try one of the fuel additive cleaners or do I take it to a shop?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Naw....give it a go Mala...it's easy...no kiddin'. Just follow the book. If you get in trouble....holler... :)

malagodi

Cadet

and this from someone whos avatar is banging his head against the wall.

flech01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey don't knock OBJ he knows more about this stuff than most people on this forum.<br /><br />Just try the rebuild. If it doesn't work out take it to your mechanic he will take it from there.

Xcusme

Commander

Originally posted by mala prop:<br /> and this from someone whos avatar is banging his head against the wall.
And this from someone who's posted 3 times, compared to 5,249....<br /><br />You'd do better to quietly read more on this forum before making snide comments about a respected member, or anyone, for that matter. Until you have the experience, patience and wisdom of OBJ, keep these kinds of comments to yourself.<br /><br />Edit:<br />I just noticed that YOU, YOU came here ,looking for answers to your problem and then after getting the best advice and words of encouragement, bite the hand that's trying to feed you. What arrogance! Consider yourself duly chastised , and don't do it again. If you don't feel comfortable about performing the suggested repairs, then take your problem to a marine tech who can sort out your problems. As for your lack of social skills, you'll have to find other sources for that kind of help.

malagodi

Cadet

No I wasn't knocking him. But his little gremlin is doing a bang-up job.<br /><br />Anyway I'm going to chicken out of the carb rebuild and take it to the shop on Monday. I tried rebuilding the Weber dual carbs on my old Volvo many years ago and screwed it all up, so I'll let the pro do it.<br /><br />Tomorrow I'm busy making a flushing aparatus for it.

malagodi

Cadet

Scuse me Xcuse me and everyone else. I didn't mean to offend. I really do appreciate all the good advice. Really.<br /><br />Can anyone tell me how to get my dog to sit still? I tried singing "don't rock the boat baby", but that didn't work.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I've taken no offense mala prop....the head banger is just me at the shop when I screw up....LOL!! If you have the OEM manual and follow it, you really should have no problem. I am a firm believer that everyone that owns an outboard should learn as much about the engine as possible. Could get ya' home someday.<br /><br />EDIT: Hey....don't let this little bump in the road keep ya' from postin' either.....there is a wealth of info here for you or anybody to take advantage of..... :)

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Make sure that you have the air silencer on when you're running WOT. Or else it won't go WOT!! Oh, ya! And all those other things too!

malagodi

Cadet

Sure does run a whole lot better with its carbs cleaned and adjusted right.<br /><br />I want to thank everyone for the advice to do it myself, but I decided to let the shop do it because...<br /><br />I never did it before, and since I just got the engine, I wanted to have it done right.<br /><br />So it got its carbs cleaned, new lower gear oil and a through inspection. Mechanic says its in fine shape. And he told me don't bother bringing it in for impellers or thermostats or stuff like that cause I can do it myself.<br /><br />Thanks again to everyone.<br /><br />BTW, what the hell is an "air silencer"?

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Air Silencer... That big black plastic thing stuck on the front of the carb. Not sure what it does.... perhaps something to do with noise??

malagodi

Cadet

Must be to quite that giant sucking sound the motor makes as its inhaling all your money.

Xcusme

Commander

HEY HEY, Way to go! Glad to hear you get the carb problems sorted out. It sounds like you've found yourself a good shop, in that, they suggested that you can do the little stuff (impeller etc) on your own.<br /><br />If you are interested in doing the smaller maintenance stuff yourself, grab a service manual and read. It's pretty easy stuff and you'll have a better working knowledge of the 'inner workings' of your motor. If you have questions, just stop back here and ask for advice. The knowledge base, here at iboats, is awesome.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Glad to hear it's running OK mala....do take Xcusme's advice, read the manual. You'll be doing yourself a whole lotta good!! Enjoy the water!!