1983 75HP Evinrude starting problem

71whaler

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My outboard is a 1983 75HP Evinrude on a 71 Boston Whaler. I usually take the boat out fishing on the Chesapeake Bay about 1-2x a week depending on the weather so the motor is run farely often. <br /><br />Today while fishing for striper I had a problem starting. The motor started fine at the dock and 3 or 4 x while on the water. Suddenly after sitting for about 15 minutes, I went to start the motor and nothing. I moved the trottle to ensure it was in neutral. Nothing. I checked the starter to make sure the starter gear wasn't stuck, nope it was down. Checked the battery connections, all good. Electronics worked. Checked the safety lanyard, looked good. Checked fuses, all good. Still no start. Now I was getting worried. I dug out my manual start cord and wrapped it around the flywheel, turned the key on and pulled the rope. Motor started on second try. Motored home with no problems. After I got to the dock, I shut the motor off and tried to restart. Worked fine. I let the motor sit for 20 minutes and tried again. Started right up. I tried starting it a few times in a row, no problem. <br /><br />I printed out the Outboard Wont Start FAQ from JB as a start. Anyone have any suggestions?

D

DJ

Re: 1983 75HP Evinrude starting problem

71Whaler,<br /><br />Sounds like a classic example of a corroded ground.<br /><br />Remove the negative battery cable from the engine block and clean it thoroughly, plus the bolt threads.<br /><br />Check the positive cable, at the solenoid, while you are at it.

ob

Admiral

Were you hearing the starter solenoid 'click' when the engine wouldn't start? If not,your ignition switch contacts may be the problem or the neutral safety switch may need looking in to.<br />Otherwise,DJ has you headed in the right direction.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Agree with DJ. <br /><br />That engine is notorious for that because the ground strap is usually bolted to the steel bypass cover.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

71whaler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. I will check it out. Figures that this is the best week of fishing the Bay before the fall striper season ends Dec. 31.

71whaler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hate to revisit an old post but the problem is still present. From DJ's advice, I removed the ground wire and cleaned the connection and then retightened. I then proceeded to clean all the electrical connections going to or coming from the starter and tightened. I fished a couple more times in January with no problems. <br /><br />After my last trip in Jan. I started the motor to run fresh water thru, no problems, ran it for 10 minutes and then cleaned the boat. Went back to start it one more time, nothing, no click, nothing. I ran home to get my voltmeter, about 15 minutes and when I got back it started fine. The boat then sat for two weeks and then I went to winterize and it started and ran fine. <br /><br />So, I plan on checking all the connections once again but was wondering if you have any other advice. The problem is very sporadic and so difficult to diagnose. Should I start replacing the neutral safety switch, starter, etc. <br /><br />Come spring I was going to try taking it out and running it for awhile and then bring it back to the dock to see if I can get it to act up. I just don't want to be out flounder fishing and have a freighter bearing down on me and it will not start.<br /><br />Thanks for your help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

With it being that intermittent and that dramatic I suspect your ignition/starter switch, or neutral safety switch, Whaler.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

71whaler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks JB. I will give that a try and I am going to start carrying my voltmeter onboard so I can trouble shoot if it happens again.