Transom mounted water pickup

bobecke

Cadet
Has anybody used a transom mounted water pickup. I need to get my motor up higher to get the rpm's but am at the point now 1 1/2" below pad that if I go any higher, I will lose water pressure. Will one of these devises give me enough water? Thanks

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Transom mounted water pickup

Dhadley is the man to answer this one...he'll see the post and check it out sooner or later.

D

DJ

bobecke,<br /><br />Does your engine have an aftermarket nosecone with low water pick up ports?<br /><br />If not, that's the next step.

bobecke

Cadet

DJ<br />No I don't have a nosecone. I've read all over the forums that unless your going over 80 mph (faster than my boat by far) the nosecone will actually slow you down because of more surface drag.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

bob - Do you suspect that you will loose pressure if you raised the motor or have you tried it?

walleyehed

Admiral

1-1/2" below the pad refers to the prop-shaft in this case, so he IS high.

phatmanmike

Captain

check out www.bobsmachine.com and look at there low water pickups and nose cones. price is pretty nice, seeing as to how they sand, weld, install and repaint and include shipping for the price of the nose cone

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yes, we have used the transom mount pick ups. They work fine.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Well after I thought about it let me say, they work fine if mounted and hosed correctly. How are you planning on doing it?

bobecke

Cadet

Dhadley I don't know, I was just inquiring as to whether this a reasonable approach as Bob's of Bob's Nosecones manufactures these pickups. However I think my main problem of low RPM's is more a problem in the motor than in getting it even higher. A fresh 97 OMC Venom 225 on a bullet (1200 lbs.) with a blueprinted pad, propshaft at 2" below pad with a 27 4B renegade and 12" setback ought to be able to turn more than 5200-5400 rpm don't you think?<br /><br /><br />Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I would sure think so.<br /><br />Lets look at a couple of steps to take. First make sure your linkages are all OK. Including making sure the bottom carb on each side is getting wide open. The top 2 throats on each side have a common shaft but the lower has a connection. <br /><br />Then after thats verified, lets run it with the proper test prop and a shop tach. Obviously if the boat tach follows the shop tach we're OK there. The motor should come up to an rpm indicated in the service manual. Now that rpm may or may not be the same rpm that you will set up for. Its just a baseline with a given resistance. If it does come up to the rpm specified in the book, great. If not we have to look at other things.<br /><br />One of those things is timing. While its on the test wheel is an ideal time to shoot timing. On both banks.

bobecke

Cadet

Thanks Dhadley, I'll check it out. All carbs are linked correctly and are opening fully. Motor runs and sounds great. A second tach is a good idea but presently the GPS boat speed 68 MPH to 5200 RPM seems about right so I'm pretty sure the boat tach is reasonably accurate. My mechanic wants to high speed check the timing while it's tied down on the trailer - so I'll do that. I bought this after it had been sitting awhile. Prior owner said it would over spin a 27" 4B renegade. But not now. Frustrating. Anyway thanks for your responses Dhadley!!!