soaking carbs

jdstephwacotx

Seaman
I'm about to attempt to de-carb a motor and I figured I would 'soak' the carbs overnight while I was at it.<br /><br />2 questions:<br />1. Do I soak the carbs in the SeaFoam as well? Or carb cleaner? The only carb cleaner i can find is in the spray can, nothing pourable.<br /><br /><br />2. Do I even need to clean them separately? Or will the de-carb process do the trick by itself?

reeldutch

Lieutenant
Re: soaking carbs

are you trying to clean the carburetors or decarbonize your combustion chamber?

LubeDude

Admiral

Ive heard that the best way to clean your carbs is to soak them in a carb cleaner, but I never do it, (my preference). I just disassemble them carefully making sure I know if there are different jets in diferent places. (Sometimes there are different sized jets from one side to the other), then I just use the spray cleaner and sqirt it in all the holes and blow it out with compressed air. (But I have a compressor). Ive never seen anything in a carb that the spray cleaners wouldnt disolve. Some of the plastic parts do not react well with some cleaners, so you need to be carefull. I like Chemtool, Barrymans, even the STP carb cleaners is fine and its cheep.<br /><br />Its up to you whether you do the decarb first, or after you do your carbs, follow the procedures in the FAQ section on decarbing.

Walker

Captain

I soak carbs in Berryman Chemtool. Comes in a 1 gallon paint pail with a wire basket. Remove all gaskets from carbs. Never melted anything on a carb. 30 minutes will suffice. No need to soak over night

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Jdstephwacotx be carefull that you don't confuse the abbreviation "decarb" for anything to do with carburetors. When people say they are going to "decarb" they mean decarbonize the combustion chamber, not remove the carbs and clean them. Although some people put Seafoam or similar products into their fuel it will not clean a carb (it might help prevent them getting dirty) that is dirty. Nor will spraying Deep Creep or similar products into the carburetor throat in the decarbonizing process have any beneficial effect on your carburetors. Removal and disassembly of carburetors is required. Spray carb cleaner and compressed air (buy a can at Radio Shack if you don't have an air compressor) is the way to go.

jdstephwacotx

Seaman

Yes, I realize that decarb and cleaning the carbs are separate. I was planning to follow the FAQ decarb method but figured that first I might disassemble the carbs and clean them as well. I think the guy that rebuilt them before I bought it didn't clean the fast jets and most people tell me from the problems that I'm having that they might be the problem. (it dies when put into gear).<br /><br />It sounds like I can just spray them out and then put them back on for the decarb.<br /><br /><br />Thanks all for your help.