Wrong Oil (4 stroke instead of 2 stroke)

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wrong Oil (4 stroke instead of 2 stroke)

I can't see it running ok like that ??

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> the old stuff used to be pre-thinned 40wt non detergent. I still have a few bottles. OMC said 30 wt NON detergent at 25 to one for a time. the problem is the detergent and antiwear additives dont burn well. do as advised and decarb it well and clean the vro tank and switch back to a TCW-3.<br /> good luck and keep posting<br />ps try to find sae30 non detergent anymore :)

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Its just hard to comprehend. All I have to say about this is good luck... I'm thinking positive thoughts for you and EWWWWWWWWWWWW!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

As Rodbolt points out, it is important whether the oil was Non-Detergent 30W . That used to be used all the time in outboards, but not at 50:1.<br /><br />There probably hasn't been any permanent damage, but decarb her and use only TC-W3 rated oil in the future.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Well, I'm looking at a 1972 Evinrude owners manual and it says " in an emergency, use SAE30 marked ML-MM. DO NOT use multi-viscosity oils." <br />I agree that TCW should have been used, but the situation may not be as drastic as it appears. In some parts of the world, commercial fisherman use auto oil exclusively because TCW is not readily available.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Back in 1972, 32 years ago, ML rated oil was non-detergent. That rating system is not in use today. Even today, if you can find a "non-detergent" automotive oil, it still has detergent additives in it according to the lubrication industry.<br /><br />Remember back in "the good old days" that service manuals recommended annual carbon cleaning procedures to keep the exhaust ports from plugging up with carbon.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahah seahorse may not remeber the old quaker state pre-thinned sae 40 two stroke oil but naybe JB still has some about. I also have a few cans of quicksilver formula 50 someplace :) :)

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

C'mon, Rodbolt, the "pre-thinned" oil is not that long ago to an old fart like me. :) I remember Standard Oil (Amoco) white gas and straight 30W at 16:1, then later to 24:1. It wasn't until the mid '60s when outboard oil started coming into its own.<br /><br />Years ago in Viet Nam (No, not in Swift boats!!!) I ran "skimmer" boats which were 17' Boston Whalers with 1968 85hp Johnsons on them. These had an M60 machine gun on the bow. We used "MOGAS" and Army 30W oil at 50:1. Wow, what carbon problems we had! You can't imagine how many times we re-used head gaskets since we couldn't get new ones for weeks on end. There was also Party Barges with twin 40hp outboards also.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yann,<br /><br />How about taking a look in the VRO tank and tell us what the oil looks like. If it looks and smells like 30- something weight, it probably is. If it is blue or green or grey, and does not smell like auto motor oil, it is probably 2 cycle oil.<br /><br />Also, if he ran auto oil, it would probably smoke a lot under all throttle settings.<br /><br />Mark.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

A friend of mine had a 1986 honda Spree 2 stroke scooter. It had a 50cc engine, and oil injection. The owners manual said 30wt oil could be used if two stroke oil couldn't be found.

LubeDude

Admiral

Ok, another way of looking at this.<br /><br />Oil is Oil, the slipery stuff is all the same in any application, car, truck, boat, airplane, whatever, the only difference is in the additive package. The damage would be in this application in the form of carbon buildup and a possable seizure do to carbon under the rings. After a good decarb, maybe two, a compression check will tell.