brother has boat keys, 700 miles away

michaelj1978

Seaman
My brother took off with the keys to the boat. Weather is going to be in upper 70's this weekend so I've got to get on the water. <br /><br />It's an evinrude 50, are there key codes on the key or on the throttle box itself? I doubt that individual keys are made per each throttle box. <br /><br />What is the best way to get a new key? Would a dealer have these in stock?

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: brother has boat keys, 700 miles away

No idea on the keys...hopefully someone more knowlegable can help you out there.<br /><br />If you got desperate, I would think you could probably use jumper cables to get power to the starter motor and get going. Not sure how you would stop the motor though...maybe flood it?<br /><br />Like I said I'm no expert, but if nothing else, this will bump your post back to the top.<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Brew

Bradster941

Petty Officer 1st Class

Key switches are only about $10 <br />Why not just change it out and be done with it?

uncyboo

Cadet

I just paid $23 for one and it took about 10 minutes to install.

D

DJ

Look for a code on the key switch where the key goes in. I recall that they are two digits.<br /><br />There are only about six combibations.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

If you get desperate have your bro fax you a photocopy of the key. You can then find a couple of blanks and a file or bench grinder and make a key...just a thought :)

bic-it

Cadet

Originally posted by michaelj1978:<br /> My brother took off with the keys to the boat. Weather is going to be in upper 70's this weekend so I've got to get on the water. <br /><br />It's an evinrude 50, are there key codes on the key or on the throttle box itself? I doubt that individual keys are made per each throttle box. <br /><br />What is the best way to get a new key? Would a dealer have these in stock?

bic-it

Cadet

Sorry about the previous post. I am still new at this. I lost my key one time on a Merc. I got the number right under where the key goes in and went up to my local marina. They had it in stock and it cost me $3