1960 75 hp Super Sea Horse

mead338

Recruit
I had the motor running for a short time when it quiet. Started checking for problems after it would not restart and found that I have spark to only 1 plug. Also took a volt reading of a wire that runs from the wire harness to the side of the cap and rotor and only getting 6.2 volts. I have no idea about this motors.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1960 75 hp Super Sea Horse

Welcome mead - Now is the time for you to get a manual for your motor and follow the troubleshooting procedures.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1960 75 hp Super Sea Horse

mead338, check the thread "90 Johnson runs great, then won't restart". Sounds like you're in the same boat (no pun intended). Has your motor been running OK up until now or have you just got it running? If it has been sitting for a while especially over winter in Ohio your electrical components can be corroded. I think you have a distributor on the back of the engine with a magneto? Take the cap off of the bottom and use a mirror and flashlight to look at the condition of the coil contacts and magnets. If they are rusty, then you may not be getting a good charge in the coil. You'll need to remove the distributor and disassemble to clean them up. Stuff a rag in the exhaust shaft below the distributor so you don't loose anything down there. The manual says you'll destroy the magneto bearings when you disassemble, but I didn't have a problem with bearings when I took mine apart. While you've got the cap off check each spark plug wire with an ohm meter. Connect at each end and twist and bend the wires to see if there's a break in the wire. They screw into the cap so don't go yanking them out or you'll be getting new wires made up. Clean and tighten all electrical contacts and connections and check the spark on all plugs. Spark testers are great to view the spark on all plugs at the same time.<br />That should keep you busy for a while.