need help, thoughts, prayers

mattttt25

Commander
i went home to the parent's place this weekend, which happens to be the winter location for my boat. 20' center console. as i started to get her ready for the season, i almost cried.<br /><br />i wasn't jacked up enough on the bow (or the bow sunk in the mud over time) and i apparently had some standing water inside the boat at various times through the winter. looks like it was focused mostly to port and aft.<br /><br />normally this wouldn't upset me. but last year, i had to install two new deck access panels for some work i did. the panles were new and had gaskets, but didn't hold up over the winter when they were apparently under water. water leaked into the hull. how much, i have no idea.<br /><br />in the same location of these access panels was foam. i had to cut away some of the foam during installation for the work i was doing. the foam in this area was wet.<br /><br />i immediately pointed the bow to the sky and drained every bit of water i could. the boat remains in that position. i then grabbed a shopvac (only thing i could think of), swicthed the nossels to blow, and blew air into the hull through the access panels. surprisingly, all moisture within arms reach was gone in about 2 hrs (a shopvac running that long starts to produce a nice warm stream of air). i proceded to rotate the shopvac to various locations where i could get into the hull. i probably ran air for about 6 hrs on saturday and another 4 hrs on sunday.<br /><br />as a result of all this water and moisture getting to where it shouldn't be, my deck (looks like 3/4" plywood with glass on top) is soft. the section that is soft is approx 5' x 3' and located port and aft.<br /><br />so what do i do. i think the water is removed, and i obviously removed some of the mositure with the shopvac. but i have no way to tell if there is still water trapped within the hull. considering my boat is a value line (sunbird), i doubt there is a whole lot of foam. with the 65 gal fuel tank in that area, and the open bilge in the aft area for pumps and such, there is not much room left to fill with foam. maybe i got all the moisture out.<br /><br />but then there is the deck. i don't want to replace. this boat won't be with me much longer, but i want to use it this year and maybe next. is it a structural safety thing? what are my options? i was thinking of trying to dry out the hull void even more, which should help dry the deck some. could i drill several pilot holes in the area and use git rot? any other creative ideas that keep me from cutting up my deck?<br /><br />so that's the story. i obviously am concerned from a safety standpoint. i don't want to sink this boat in the middle of the bay. but i just don't know enough to figure this out. are my stringer rotting away as i type? is the deck a waste and not able to be saved?<br /><br />looking to you guys for help...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: need help, thoughts, prayers

eeeeeewwwwwwww,... Boy,..... I Hate when That Happens........<br />Lot's of Questions......And, The Answers just bring up More Questions......<br />
this boat won't be with me much longer, but i want to use it this year and maybe next.
You Might Consider moving Your Update, date UP.....<br /><br />That would Answer All Your Problems.......

mattttt25

Commander

come on bondo, give me a little more. i know you can. yes, lots of questions. the answers will help me decide what to do.

Bondo

Staff member

Well,.......<br />Like I Said,..... Dry It Out,+ Sell It.......<br /><br />Boat Buying season is Just Starting.......<br /><br />Your boat will Never be worth More than it is Right Now,...... Dried Out of course..........

mattttt25

Commander

and that's the question. how much will it dry out. can i firm up that deck without replacing it? if i don't sell and take it for a quick spin, will it break in two when i hit that first 2' roller?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You may be ok. Your boat is relatively new and uses modern construction techniques.<br />Treated wood is not going to rot so quickly or at all, being cold/frozen slows the rotting even more. If it is good plywood, it will not delaminate. Just absorb water and swell some.<br /><br />If you can get it all dried out, it will firm up. How much? hard to tell.<br /><br />Dry it out, run it, keep it dry in the furure.

crab bait

Captain

rot will come next year.. <br /><br />wet wood doesn't rot especially mid -chesapeake brine..<br /><br />wood rot when wet turns dry.. hence he full name for rot .. dry rot.. <br /><br />your deck is soft cause of wet wood..probalbly not rot.. <br /><br />the boat probalbly weighs a ton an will take high on forever to really dry out..<br /><br />looks like a bummer boat season for you..

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

geesh .. good luck w/it Matt ..

fireman57

Captain

I hate to tell you to this but now is the time to sell the boat. I would tell the prospective buyer what happened but that is up to you. I don't see any way that the boat is dried out and that it won't rot in the next year or so (agreeing with crabbait). If you sell a boat that is rotten in a year or two or one that is going to rot in a year or two is the same thing in my book. I'm not trying to be holier than thou but actions taken seem to come back and haunt. At least they have to me.

mattttt25

Commander

well, it's good to hear some opinions. the boat is a 1997, bought new in 1998. no rot or problems like this until now.<br /><br />the water that caused this was rain/snow in south jersey, not chesapeake brine. but being jersey, not sure if that's any better. i know that wet wood does not rot. i think i heard you need oxygen to start the rot.<br /><br />like i said, the bow is now pointed to the sky. i don't think any more water is getting in. i definitely dried it out some with the shopvac. i plan to hit it hard again over a weekend, and blow air for as many hours as i can until the shopvac blows up. any other thoughts on drying out what could be inside? i'm worried about any additional wet foam (and the weight it adds), and moisture laying on the stringers.<br /><br />let's assume my deck does dry out. will my idea of drilling multiple pilot holes into the deck to apply git rot work? never used the stuff before. would i drill just into the plywood and then shoot the junk into the hole? i would then fill the hole from the top with some 5200 to keep any water from getting in.<br /><br />thanks again for the replys. anything else you can offer is appreciated.<br /><br />and crab bait- i won't let it be a bummer boat season, even if i have to burn this one and buy new. :)

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any chance of finding out what the boat & trailor are supposed to weigh and comparing with the current weight to roughly guage possible amount of water still in it? Would have to account for gas...

D

DJ

I'm not at all for drilling holes in the deck. You may cause more problems.<br /><br />You've done what you can do, for now. A little more Shop Vac time certainly will not hurt.<br /><br />Your best tool, at this point, is the good old sun.<br /><br />Whenever you can, open up every access you have and let her bake in the sun.<br /><br />You'll be OK, IMHO.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I am not impressed with Git Rot at all. It will fill the holes but does not flow well or get absorbed into the wood itself.

mattttt25

Commander

Well, it really means something when two guys with 13,000+ posts between them agree. Thank you DJ and SoLittle. I guess drilling holes and using git rot is out of the question. Besides, I wouldn't have rot to treat yet.<br /><br />I guess I'm left with simply trying to dry everything out the best I can. Fingers are crossed.