what to look for?????

lakemurray

Cadet
I have a 1990 15 HP Johnson that I think has a fuel problem. The motor will crank and idle fine, but as soon as I give it gas it bogs down and will stall out. I know that the fuel is getting all the way up to the fuel pump because when I loosened up the pump and pumped the gas bulb, some fuel came out. So the problem is somewhere after (or involving...maybe?) the fuel pump. What all should I look for in trying to fix this problem?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: what to look for?????

If it runs OK if you keep squeezing the bulb, the pump is bad. If squeezing the bulb has no effect on the bogging, I would suspect the carb is in need of a good bath. I would recommend OE carb kits.<br /><br />Good luck!

lakemurray

Cadet

To get back to the landing, we had to continously pump the bulb, and the thing would run fine. So I am assuming that this would be a pump problem. How much would a new fuel pump be. You dont think my motor is too old to find a fuel pump for it at a local dealer do you?

angus63

Captain

Your motor is a puppy ('90). Rebuild kit (~$25) and 1.5 hrs labor.

BF

Lieutenant

What's no way? the price of a pump rebuild kit? Sounds about right to me. Not too much to them, a couple of diaphrams. Call your local OMC dealer for price. I doubt they carry new fuel pumps, they'd just repair/rebuild the original. No biggie.<br /><br />Have you seen this article? It's a must read for you.<br /> 15 hp maintenance article <br /><br />good luck! Those are great motors... I've got an '82.<br /><br />Brent