1959 v4 50hp johnson fuel pump

joe_dirt

Seaman Apprentice
how do u check this pump?<br />i took it apart and clean it but it still won,t fuel up to the carb and i can see the fuel in the bowl i checked the presure inlet with a vacum pump to see if there,s a hole in the seal but it hold presure. is there something else i should check?

jcockrell

Cadet
Re: 1959 v4 50hp johnson fuel pump

the way i check mine is to take the main fuel line to the carbs off and then turn the motor over,then look and see if its pumping gas out as you try to start motor

ppjmb5

Seaman Apprentice

i would replace it rebuild it <br />only $10 for kit gas breaks down the diapfame weekens it then it pushes less gass just because you dont see a rip ot tear in it doesnt mean thats its ok <br />by putting a new diapframe in it, you you notice a boost

gl1100ryder

Cadet

I am having the same problem on my '58 Evinrude V-4 50hp. I disconnected the line that goes to the carbs, but nothing came out. I took off the pressure/vaccum line that goes from the engine to the carbs, and when I cranked the motor over, I felt the pulsations of air from it. However, nothing is getting to my carbs. I took the pump off, and the diaphram seems to hold a vacuum like there is no holes or anything in it. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Josh
Traverse City, MI

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There should be a couple of one way valves and a nylon bag-shaped screen in the fuel pump. I would rcommend a rebuild kit, and a through cleaning of the metal pieces.

gl1100ryder

Cadet

I went ahead and bought a rebuild kit, and lo and behold, she works great! I suppose there must have been pinholes or something in the diaphram because everything works great now!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Was it as hard one to rebuild? As those V4's have some funny looking carbs!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sam, The V4 fuel pump of that motor looks like one from the big twins, except (if I remember correctly) they are a size larger. Four/five screws to seperate the pump body from the diaghram cover and replace all the parts.