Lack of fuel?

paboater

Seaman
Ok here is the deal. I have a 1993 Evin 175HP. I took it out on the lake Friday Ran Great. Saturday put boat in the water loaded up went to a little island to set up camp, dropped off some people went back to pick up a couple more and on the way back at WOT the boat just shut off. Started it up idled along, gave it a little throttle it shut off again. Finally got to where we were going and anchored up. I pumped the bulb on the fuel line, fired right up but shut off once all of the fuel was out of the bulb and line. Did it again same result, it seems like I am not getting suction to keep the gas flowing? Finally got towed back in and loaded it up. When we got back to our cabin I check the coned shaped fuel filter, it was fine. I put in new plugs, check for leaks, didn't seem to find any. Put the boat back in the water Sunday Morning started right up, I idled out of the no wake, hammered it, it took off perfect, Ran it for about 10 minutes, WOT and idle speed. Thought it was fixed so we stopped to fish for a bit, maybe a half hour, started back to shore to pick up some other people, starting going and guess what same damn thing, shut off. Pumped the bulb, fired up for 2 minutes, shut off. Any Ideas? There is a connection on the front of the motor the looks like you hook an airhose to it like a tire valve stem that has a red switch, which you can eiter have up or down? When in the up position and you pump bulb gas comes out, but with it down it seals, don't know which way this should be? What else could be causing this? When I do get it restarted the and it is at idle it seems to idle fine no engine noise or anything. Any help on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lack of fuel?

That little "tire valve" is the maint valve PA. It's on the primer solenoid used to shoot gas into the carb throat for cold starting. The solenoid is activated when you push the key in. The valve is used to inject fogging oil or engine tuner into the engine. The red lever should be pointing down along the length of the solenoid body.<br /><br />Where does the gas come from when the lever is in the up position and you pump the bulb? If it's coming from the valve, the body of the valve is cracked and needs replaced. <br /><br />Also check the fuel tank vent is open and doing it's job.<br /><br />After running and stopping for a while, before restart, did you try pumping up the primer bulb? It's possible the primer bulb has a bad valve in it also. This may let the fuel run back to the tank.<br /><br />Keep us posted....thanks.

paboater

Seaman

The red lever is cracked, could this be the whole problem or just a coinsidence that i noticed it? The gas comes out when the switch is in the up posistion and comes from the crack. Is it hard to replace and where can I get one? Thanks for the speedy answer.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

You can pick the vlv up at any Johnny/Rude dealer. It comes with directions on how to replace. Yes, it could be your problem. Let's get it replaced first and see how she does.

paboater

Seaman

Any other suggestions on what it could be? Should I also pick up a new bulb? What is the easiest way to check to see if the tank valve is blocked?

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try removing your gas cap, and then test for the problem. If the problem goes away then you have a problem with your tank valve(vent).

paboater

Seaman

Now correct me if I am wrong but when the motor is running shouldn't the Bulb be really hard, like not even pumpable. Because when I get it to idle it is soft like you can't even feel fuel in the line.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Put a new bulb on first, replace the valve and I'd bet your problem will be solved. OBJ gives the right advice. And yes, the bulb should stay fairly hard when the motor is running, as normally it is full of fuel.

paboater

Seaman

Replaced bulb and valve, same problem, now I am thinking no spark. Any Ideas why I would lose spark after a little while of running? Today I took it out for a test run after replacing both of those parts. Put it in the water started right up, ran at about 2000rpms for about 2 minutes then shut off, primed bulb till hard, wouldn't even try to start, thats what makes me think no spark. Any one have a link to a new powerpack?

paboater

Seaman

Today I ran it in my driveway for about 7 mins and it shutoff, pulled plug and there was no spark. What do you think powerpack, Stator or take it to dealer $$$?