85 JOHNSON WILL ONLY DO 12 MPH SUCKS GAS

Walker

Captain
Re: 85 JOHNSON WILL ONLY DO 12 MPH SUCKS GAS

I'm about out of ideas on this one. No way that 17 pitch prop is your problem. It may not be the ideal prop for your set-up but it isn't why you're not running right.<br />Has the lower unit been re-sealed lately. Look behind the prop at the bearing carrier. There should be a triangular cut-out on one side of the bearing carrier. That cut-out has to be at the top for exhaust gases to pass through it. See if maybe someone put it in wrong.

ppjmb5

Seaman Apprentice

ok i will check that out right now

alumistar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey man, I couldn't help but notice. Check to see if your choke is stuck or worse yet if the linkage to the choke is broken. when you rebuilt the carbs(again) did you check to make sure the floats were exactly where they needed to be, I understand this to be a common problem. I doubt your reeds have anything to do with it check 'em anyway. are all sparks actually sparking? wouldn't do anything for fuel consumption except your exhaust would smell extra rich. I'd say, personally, that your choke and/or your float bowl assembly has a lot to do with why you're using so much gas without power.

ppjmb5

Seaman Apprentice

well just came back from test riding it the triangle peice is right exhaust is fine <br /><br />yes chokes are working good all there was was a seat a needle with a wire that you slep over the metal braket of the float i ahve a digital hand held tach thinking about grabbing a buddy and when i open it up when im doing only 20 ill have him check the rpm on each cycl would this help if i posted what i find? this is so frustarting been working on it non stop all week

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't give up, did you make sure there wasnt anything in the high speed jets when you rebuilt the carbs. also there is a gasket that goes on the siphor tube in the carb if it is cracked or missing it will do what you are saying. To decarb if you get the deep creep you just set the motor on high idle and run it through all the carbs then shut the motor down and let it set for 30-45min then take it out and run hell out of it, be ready for a lot of smoke others will think you are on fire.

ppjmb5

Seaman Apprentice

yes i cleaned and checked the high speed jets <br />whats this siphor tube? and where is it on the carb?

haz

Cadet

ppjmb5<br />I don't think I saw anyone else post this. I know it sounds silly, but did you check to make sure the key on the fly-wheel isn't sheared? I've seen it happen before

ppjmb5

Seaman Apprentice

hmm the starter gear did strip all its teethe and i had to replace the starter and gear <br />how do i check it do i have to pull the flywheel off to check it ? or is there a way i can check with the fly wheel on?

haz

Cadet

Yeah- seeing as you did strip the starter gear, it did sound like it may be a timing issue. I'm pretty new here, (new with outboards as well) so I'm hesitant to respond, but you may be able to tell just by removing the nut and washer (I'm just guessing there is a washer). Or I may be way off base here and giving bad advice, but I'm sure someone will step in and straighten me out.

ppjmb5

Seaman Apprentice

ya im pretty sure you need a puller to remove the flywheel , but it could be that i do having a timing light i could check it ,<br /><br />runs great at low idle took the family out on the lake last night watched the fireworks just idled out there and back seems like im getting better gas milage after rebuilding the carbs though but no speed runs smooth at idle i throttle a little runs pretty good intil the secondary throttle kicks in and then BLAAAAAA....<br />THIS IS SO FRUSTARTING summer is so short too

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The siphour tube i am talking about runs from the bottom of the bowl up to the throt of the carb and a round gasket goes on the tube and seals it to the body of the carb when you put the bowl back on the carb if it's messed up or missing your motor won't have any power.

stairliftoheaven

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its possible the problem lies in the fuel pump: if theres a split in the diaphram u could be sucking fuel back down the vacuum line and into the crankcase. if you take the pump apart watch out for flying springs lol! need to do that carefully<br />good luck

Walker

Captain

ppj, did you check to see if the timer base is advancing when you advance the throttle??

ppjmb5

Seaman Apprentice

Y A H O O !!!!!!!!<br />Problem solved. it was the fuel pump diaframe was worn out rebuilt the fuel pump took the boat out for a spin and just watched the speedo keep climbing did 43 mph .... from 12 to 43 not bad<br /><br />thanks guys for all your help! you saved me bunches you guys are the best . im so happy now <br />thanks again

ppjmb5

Seaman Apprentice

need your help again please<br />after rebuilding the fuel pump i though problem was solved , but now this is whats happening<br />1)takes a while to plane out <br />2) at wot she is surging so i back it down a little she will stop surging <br />3) low speed and idle she runs smooth high speed good except for the surging but any where in the middle she runs like crap<br /><br /><br />is there a adjument i need to make i really dont know how to adjust the linkage (throttle/choke)<br /><br />please help

stairliftoheaven

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not sure what you mean by 'surging', are you saying the motor is over revving at wot?

ppjmb5

Seaman Apprentice

at WOT it will surge like diffrence in rpm <br />+++++++--------+++++++++----------++++++++<br />rev good then revs down then revs up then down <br />like once every second. i back down on it and its a steady sound also mid throttle level it runs rough i dont get the smooth throttle from idle to wot . if i throttle it slow sounds good to i get about 1/4 throttle then bogs down but if i wot then it sounds like its struggling then about 2 mins after it planes out it flies then it starts the surging thing

stairliftoheaven

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok; after you rebuilt the fuel pump, everything ok and this is a new problem right? still sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. almost certainly got some crap in the carb(s). It don't take much. you need to take em apart and clean the float valves and jets and try again. You could try pumping the priming bulb while experiencing this problem, if it don't make no difference then u know your fuel pump is ok and the problem lies in the carbs. while sortin out this problem, i would advise you to put premix in the gas tank, thats your insurnce policy against oil delivery problems until you get this sorted, just may create a big of smoke but no harm apart from that. keep postin