i'm ready to give up!...now an electrical problem

Dan Beisel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is the latest chapter in the series of troubles for my 1970 Johnson 115hp. It all started way back when it overheated. This is what I have done to it since it ran back then:<br /><br />-new head gaskets<br />-new water jacket gaskets<br />-new safety cut-out switch<br />-new temp sending switch<br />-new t-stat/valves/gaskets<br />-repaired some melted wiring<br />-removed carbon build-up from pistons/cyl ports<br />-new water pump (complete)<br /><br />I went to crank over the motor in hopes of doing a compression check. Well, it cranked a few times as I was tesing the #1 cylinder and it kept cranking (the starter kept turning) even after I turned off the key switch. I pulled the neg cable to the battery to stop it. I noticed that I had forgotten to push the start lever up but it cranked anyway.<br /><br />I went to hook the neg battery cable back up and, duh, it sparked :rolleyes: . I removed the key switch/ign switch and it still was "hot" and turned the starter. I disconnected the safety switch and it still was "hot" but the starter did not turn. It was only after disconnecting the starter cable was I able to reconnect the neg bat cable without spark. The solenoid is new within the last year and I have not had any problems with it.<br /><br />Help, if it wasn't for this website I'd have given up long ago! :( <br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Dan

Walker

Captain
Re: i'm ready to give up!...now an electrical problem

You have a "ground short" somewhere. First place to check is the wires you replaced.

DHPMARINE

Captain

I think you have problems with that 'NEW" solenoid.New on boats seems not to extend to the next season.<br />DHP

Dan Beisel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was leaning toward the solenoid also, since it was fine before I started it and the problem goes away when I disconnect the starter from it.