Starter wont engage, just spins

stoked not

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Guys,<br />Hoping you can help. Just wanted to start my motor in the driveway on the hose and she wont start. The starter won’t engage it just spins. Batteries are charged and check good. The starter never pops up to engage with the fly wheel. The boat hasn’t been used in two weeks. Am I looking at a bad starter or solenoid?<br /><br />1991 225 HP Johnson<br /><br />Thanks in advanced

stoked not

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starter wont engage, just spins

Some more information. I jumped the starter and bypassed the solenoid and I have the same results. Looks like a bad starter? Anyone.....

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

You're probably looking at a stuck Bendix gear. That's the little gear that moves up the starter shaft to engage the flywheel and turn the motor over. Fortunately, it's usually easy to fix. Just clean the starter shaft that the Bendix runs on with some kind of solvent [WD-40, whatever] and lubricate it with a light grease. You can turn the Bendix up the shaft with your fingers to get to it.

mrtool2u

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you tell if the starter is spinning the right way.Is the starter shaft turning.Have someone turn the key while you watch the starter.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Often this is caused by crud in the cable connections either + or -. Pull all & clean. Also check grounds to the motor.<br /><br />Do you hear any sound from the solinoid when you hit the key?<br /><br />Connections may look clean but may not be.

stoked not

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. Yes, the shaft turns but the bendix never rises to engage the fly wheel. I sprayed WD-40 and still no go. Should I be able to lift the small gear with a srew driver. Because I can't. Unless I'm not putting enough *** be hind it. I don't want to damage it. I think she's stuck.

stoked not

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Solittle,<br />Yes I can hear the solenoid, I also jumped it bypassing the solenoid. The bendix never comes up.

bubbakat

Captain

Take your fingers and twist the little gear and it should wind up to the top. Then lub it with some light grease or oil

mrtool2u

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The little gear will only turn 1 way,you can tell by looking at shaft,if it wont turn 1 way,try the other way,if no go,the gear is seized on shaft.

artymike

Cadet

as grease picks up grime and accelerates the problem happening again, use a light oil to lube that helical gear.

scottr_6

Cadet

This happens to mine all the time. You need to apply some upward pressure to the bendix while turning it at the same time. Once it breaks free just do what everyone suggests, some solvent and then light grease. I have also seen a weak battery cause this because the drive does not spin fast enough for the centrifugal force to drive it up.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

The good news is that, if it's damaged beyond fixing with grease (after you get it unstuck), they're only around $20 through your OMC dealer. I just put a new one on my '89 150XP last season. Mine wasn't stuck, but the teeth were pretty worn out and I was afraid it was going to destroy the mating teeth on my flywheel.