18' aluminum boat opinions

sqdqo

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone have an experienced opinion on 17'-19' aluminum boats? Such as Lund Tyee, Alumacraft Trophy etc? Durability, reliability, etc.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' aluminum boat opinions

They are all excellent boats. Add Crestliner to your list. I think Lund is a little pricey but they do seem to retain their resale value pretty well. My personal feeling is that fit and finish on a Lund doesn't seem to be as good as Alumacraft and Crestliner. I have an '04 Alumacraft Navigator and have had zero problems. Nice dry ride, roomy and comfortable. It rides on a Shorelander roller trailer.

walleyehed

Admiral

I own 2 Starcraft super sports, both 18ft.<br />1 is a 77 model the other a 79. I took the time to completely refurbish the 79 and it has features even the 2005's don't have. Don't overlook the Starcraft. My buddy has an 1800 LUND Fisherman and I wouldn't give a dime for it...the ride isn't as good as it should be, and I have more room in mine. I just looked at a new Crestliner 2 weeks ago and they impress me, they look like well-built boats, with a nice fit.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Alumacrafts in our family for 45+ years. Some of them are beat to hill, but still going strong. The 1960 15'er has popped a few rivets, but what do you expect from a boat that was tossed 200yds in a tornado, and routinely gets pounded on the rocks.<br /><br />I don't particularly like the layout of dads 16' ltd, but it is holding up fine.<br /><br />Get the model you want, and don't underpower it.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Just looked at the Alumacraft navigator yesterday, very impressed with it.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Well .. its a toss up to what you like in a boat yourself. <br /><br />They're all feature specific boats. Personally, I wouldn't think of a 17'-18' dual-console boat due to the lack of usable and practical fishing space. If you're looking at a 'weekend putzer' that you want to be shielded from wind when under power on a drive along the shoreline then, fine. If its' main purpose is fishing out of I'd look at SC's or tillers in that size.<br /><br />2 people, a bunch of rods each, a few tackle boxes ea., a net and a cooler will fill up a boat that profile beyond being comfortable.<br /><br />just something to chew on. <br /><br />A good test would be to bring all said 'stuff' with you that you'ld plan on bringing onto the water with you to the dealership. Load the boat up and get in it then try and move around.<br /><br />..then switch to a single-console of the same model and notice the difference.. Then a tiller ;)

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sqdqo I have a LUND 1800 Fisherman and I am very happy with it. I think if you do your homework and research you will find a boat that fits your needs. Yes LUND is at the top of the price range when talking about aluminums but that is what the other boat dealers will compare their line of boats to.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have a 1980 21 foot Crestliner and love it but newer model do not have as much storage room as older ones. If you are looking for a fish and ski no one comes close. Lifetime hull warranty and 3 years on everything. I would not buy a Aluminum boat with rivets as they do leak over time. <br /><br /> http://www.crestliner.com/quality_info/ <br /><br /> http://www.crestliner.com/

mtemple

Cadet

Three years ago I was looking for the same size aluminum boat. I had a thirty year old 15 foot Starcraft that worked great but really wasn't big enough for family outings. I looked at Starcraft, Lund, Crestliner and Alumacraft. All good boats but I ended up with a Lund Fishermen and am very happy with it. It came down to the Lund and Alumacraft because they had had better configurations for the Fish and Ski that I do. The also had the closest dealers to where I live. These boats priced out about the same for like models and features.<br /><br />All good boats and I think you would be fine with any of them. To repeat what has been said many time before, however, stick with the dealership with the best reputation.

mtemple

Cadet

Three years ago I was looking for the same size aluminum boat. I had a thirty year old 15 foot Starcraft that worked great but really wasn't big enough for family outings. I looked at Starcraft, Lund, Crestliner and Alumacraft. All good boats but I ended up with a Lund Fishermen and am very happy with it. It came down to the Lund and Alumacraft because they had had better configurations for the Fish and Ski that I do. The also had the closest dealers to where I live. These boats priced out about the same for like models and features.<br /><br />All good boats and I think you would be fine with any of them. To repeat what has been said many time before, however, stick with the dealership with the best reputation.

teamstromer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sqdo, last year i bought an alumacraft 175 cs navigator,8ft beam at the transom, great boat. what i like are the splash rails that run along port and starboard sides. these provide a nice dry ride. i bought this outfit at a boat show and the price was right.<br />boat, trailer, 90 hp 2 strke merc, with minnkota troller and 4 seats. 14,500. <br />cheaper than the lund and just as nice.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote by Boatist<br />"I would not buy a Aluminum boat with rivets as they do leak over time". <br />That’s not true my 1963 riveted hull Seaking does not leak. That boat gets abused water foul hunting and it sets out side all year. Riveted hull salesman pitch to scare one into purchasing their product.

rwidman

Lieutenant

What ever you decide, it will run better if you put Smart Tabs on it! ;)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Booner:<br /> Quote by Boatist<br />"I would not buy a Aluminum boat with rivets as they do leak over time". <br />That’s not true my 1963 riveted hull Seaking does not leak. That boat gets abused water foul hunting and it sets out side all year. Riveted hull salesman pitch to scare one into purchasing their product.
Agree with Booner. I have a 49 yr. old Feather Craft (riveted) and does not leak. Again, depends on quality.