Keel Protectors - The Good and The Bad

rshearin

Cadet
Greetings fellow boaters. I've just purchased my first boat and I need some advice. It's a 2003 Cobalt 226.<br /><br />My friend has recommended that I install a vinyl or rubber keel protector to my boat to avoid scratching the hull when pulling up to shore or beach. I'm not sure how much of this I will do but wanted to get your opinions on the advantages/disadvantages to them. Will it affect speed, handling, or performance?<br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks!

Regal-89

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Keel Protectors - The Good and The Bad

I have one on my runabout, I don't beach my boat much but if/when I ever do I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to scratch anything. They don't cost that much, and they won't slow your boat down(atleast not mine). I haven't noticed any disadvantages on getting one. I guess the only disadvatage I could see is that you have to buy it. I think I paid about $125.00, and they come in different colors also.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I beach my boat daily and wouldn't be caught without one. Two of my neighbors put them on their one and three year old boats when they saw the demand that was beginning to show.<br /><br />Keel guards usually come in 4 to 8 foot lengths, don't skimp, get 8 feet for your boat (about $150) or if you're lucky on eBay during winter you can get one for $75 to $90.<br /><br />I have one on a SeaDoo also...no notoceable change in performance or handling on either craft. I won't own a boat without one given my lake conditions and constant beaching.

rshearin

Cadet

Are they difficult to install? Is it something I should have my dealer do or will I be able to do it?

NYMINUTE

Captain

I just bought one too, haven't installed yet due to the cold. What is there to beware of??

scubatrooper

Seaman

Hog Islander:<br /><br />The instructions for the Megaware Keel Guard can be found here: Keel Guard Homepage. Then click on the installation link on the left side of the page. It looks pretty straight forward to me and they say it only takes 45-60 minutes. Good luck.<br /><br />Regards,<br />Steve

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

When installing the Keel Guard, as soon as it touches the hull it is one heck of a bond. You will not be able to remove/reposition it without ruining it.

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Hambeys bow guard is the best I've ever seen. The original version is actually bonded on with fiberglass and takes some real effort to install. The stick on version is very good as well. I've installed Keel Shield and Keel Guard as well with good success. The Hambeys is a little more expensive and will probably need to be installed at a dealer but will out last the boat. DH

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

what if you use epoxy to install it............and any luck with a fishfinder transducer shooting through the keelguard if you were to mount it inside against the hull

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The Keel Guards install easily as long as the boat's keel is exposed and not resting on a trailer roller or bunk. Prep the hull/keel as the instructions indicate, depending on the type of kit you'll need acetone or alcohol not supplied with the kit. The guard has three peel off strips going the length of the guard. First you peel off the middle strip (about two inches wide) the position it in place, then do either side, and roll with the supplied roller or a heavier duty one if you have it. Apply lots of pressure to seal well to the hull. Some brands supply a clear marine caulking to seal the entire perimeter, a good idea for brands that don't supply it. I'm going on year four and noticed some of the caulking coming off in spots, so I'll reseal this year before launch. Don't use any other products to adhere the keel guard than what is indicated in the instructions, they stay on extremely well. Like I said four years no trouble, and boat is in the water on a mooring for 5 months per year. When you're on plane it's not in the water.

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great product - go for it eyes closed.<br />- Just becareful installing it - you have one shot to correctly position it.