66 Johnson Water Pump??

kellyj

Cadet
I have a 1966 Johnson 80Hp which I have just recently got running. When I started (in a barrel of water) I noticed that there was not a steady straem of water coming out of the water outlet so after ~30 sec I shut it down. I water to do a visual inspextion of the water pump/impeller . .etc but am unsure to it's exact location. I don't want to take the wrong section of the lower unit off. Do I take the bolts out at the top of the long shaft extension or the bottom?? What should I expect to see? Should be aware of anything when I take this apart?? Is there any gaskets that will need changing once I do take it apart. <br /><br />Any info on how to take this apart and what to check for in the water pump would be greatly appreciated. The motor is a 66 Johnson 80Hp V4S-18C

Droll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 66 Johnson Water Pump??

Howto locate/remove waterpump :<br />look at the last post here Iboat forum <br />Location see Image of location <br />You can see the waterpump between the units.<br /><br />Pictures are from A 1964 90 HP ,but most part are indentical . :)

phatmanmike

Captain

your motor does not have a standard "tell tale pee hole"<br /><br />those didnt appear until about the mid 70's i believe, if you can run it and sit your fingers on the cylinder head for about 4- 5 seconds its all good, if its burning to the touch instantly, that is bad....<br /><br />to pull the leg is pretty straight forward...and simple<br /><br />if you dont know the exact time that the waterpump was changed , you should put a new one in, its cheep insurance... you can get lots of parts for older OMC motor such as yours right here.. www.maxrules.com

kellyj

Cadet

Ok . .thanks guys! I got the lower unit off and inspected the impaller . .looks like it's in good shape. Is there anything else I should check while I have this apart??<br />Also, the rubber impaller has a larger diameter that it's casing. How do I ge the casing back over the rubber impaller?? There must be a trick to it.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

How an impeller looks has little to do with how it will perform. Do yourself a favor and get a complete new pump and a shop manual.

kellyj

Cadet

"get a complete new pump" . . does this mean buy a new impaller or the whole thing casing and all???