Trim tilt, engine, Motor shuts off

Panthermatt

Cadet
1993 Johnson,Ocean Runner, 175 hp.<br /><br />At times when I use the trim and tilt my motor shuts off. Not the trim tilt motor, I mean the engine quits as soon as I hit the trim tilt switch either at the engine or from the control on my on my gas throttle. I was wondering if it could be the trim tilt relay messing up and draining power from my engine?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim tilt, engine, Motor shuts off

Welcome aboard Matt. ;) <br /><br />This is one I've never run across yet but hopefully one of the other guys have. It would seem almost off hand that there would be an intermittent short somewhere as the TNT circuit is it's own circuit on the engine.<br /><br />When you posted that the engine stops as soon as you hit the TNT button, is it just that? Hit the button and the engine dies....right now?<br /><br />Is this a new problem or one you inherited. Any work done on the control box lately? <br /><br />I'm asking these questions to get the post bumped up and to get a little info on the problem. Hang in there....we can help.

D

DJ

I have the same question that OBJ has. <br /><br />The engine quits IMMEDIATELY when the trim switch is activated???

Panthermatt

Cadet

Thank you for the welcome first off.<br /><br />Yes as soon as I push the switch. This is a new problem. The only control box work ever done was the kill switch had to be replaced.<br /><br />I don't know if this will help. After the engine died I tried to start it back up. It was awful. It was like hardly any fire was getting to the plugs. the starter would go and you would see smoke as if it was trying to fire and then get a back fire. The only thing I did was take a look at the wires to the TNT and looked at and made sure every thing was hooked up to the 3 power packs. After I looked at those things it fired right back up is if nothing was wrong. This happened a couple of times. This happens as soon as I hit the TNT button at the engine or control panel and not all the time.<br />Thx.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Panthermatt, Strange problem because using the TNT puts battery + into use,and to shut down the motor,you need battery - ......<br /><br />This motor is not a Ficht? right....?<br /><br />If so start it up,disconnect the harness going to the remote control.Try the trim switch at the motor.If it still dies,the problem is in the motor harness.If it doesn't die (hopefully) the harness between the control and engine is at fault<br /> If it is a Ficht,don't follow my advice.<br />DHP

Panthermatt

Cadet

Actually the TNT motor is an Arco. I had the origional replaced about 5 years ago. Should I still try what you said DHPMARINE?

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have a short in the trim wiring, had the same thing happen and never did find out why it didn't blow fuses, it just killed the motor when it happened, the insulation was rubbed through on the wire to the up side of the trim and would bounce around untill it hit metal in the housing, i just taped it and tied down so it couldnt move

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Matt....do the test that DH recommends. You could also check the wiring inside the control box since that there was the switch replacement, it's possible you have a bare wire inside doing as Bass Runner suggests'.

Panthermatt

Cadet

I can't unhook the harness. There no longer is a harness. At one point they (the marina) thought the harness was causing a problem. The boat is a 1993 Wellcraft 20 Fish. I guess they have run into problems with the Wellcraft harness before. So now it is straight wired. <br /><br />I looked at the wires today and I need to replace two after this season. They are not that bad. I had the engine running today and moved those wires all over the place touching the wires to metal while operating the TNT. Nothing, it ran great. I wish it had died. That would have been to easy.<br /><br />I am going to take the control box off and check the wires there.<br /><br />Thx for all your help. Great site and great people.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Let us know if you find anthing Matt....thanks.

Panthermatt

Cadet

Well I think I am at the end of what I can do so I will see what you all think.<br /><br />I have talked to a Tech. and so has my brother in VA. Beach. Both said it sounds like the stator.<br /><br />I have been reading about Stator's on the board and this does not seem to be likley. It sounds like Johnson's have very few problems with Stators. My tech said the same thing about stators in OMC products but that is what it sounded like to him.