alarm does not turn off

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer
Hi everyone i need alittle help, i have changed a defective alarm with a new one, the new alarm does not stop ringing until i turn the key off, did not start the engin i was just checking the self test. But it will not stop aslong as the key is on. thanks in advance. J.C.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer
Re: alarm does not turn off

Sorry i forgott it is on a 1995 130hp johnson J.C.

kgw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JC,<br />What did you change to fix defective alarm? When I changed my oil tank pick up assembly they reversed the polarity at the plug durring manufacture. same symptom tou have

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Ken thanks for the reply, I did not change anything i conected the horn as it was before purple wire to positive terminal, tan wire to the other terminal , black to grounding screw. J.C.

kgw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JC,disconecct the oil tank elec.connector any way just to isolate that being the prob.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Ken,i disconected the oil tank wires as you sujested, disconected at the VRO pump conection,cant disconect at the oil tank as the wires seem to be molded into top of tank, this did not help it still beeps could i have a bum alarm, i also disconected the tan wires to the heat sensers which did not help. J.C.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

JC.... If that warning horn has a three wire set up ie a black wire leading to ground, plus two push on terminals, the TAN wire should be connected to the terminal closest to the black ground wire. Having them reversed will have the horn doing weird things.

kgw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JC, you have to trace the "lamp cord" wire from the oil tank to the inside of the motor cowl to find the plug to disconnect it. You have eliminated the VRO and heat sensors as the problem but you still have to disconnect the oil tank.It has its own plug 2 wires only<br />Or it very well may be what Joe said

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Joe and Ken, I have disconected the two wire lamp cord,did not help horn still on.Joe i checked the three wires on the horn and the tan wire is closes to the black ground, if i disconect the ground the horn will stop but it will not self test.thanks again for your help. J.C.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

JC..... While the horn is sounding, disconnect the TAN wire from the horn. If the horn continues to sound, the horn is faulty (it happens).

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Good morning Joe,I disconnected the tan wire and the horn still sounds. I have another new one on order,will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the help. J.C.