'51 eveinrude 25hp fuelpump

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class
:confused: Hi guys I just got a '51 25hp evinrude that reqiuires a presure tank but I don't have one<br />but what I do have an eletric fuel pump I hooked it directly to the carb it works fine what i want to know is if it's allright to run :confused: it this way?thanks.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: '51 eveinrude 25hp fuelpump

Yeah, it'll run fin 'til the battery dies... Pressure tanks aren't hard to find. Rebuild kits are available and the system worked well back in the day. If you want one right now, there are usually several on eBay. If you're willing to root around a bit, your local marina may have one or two tucked away somewhere. Many of those motors were sold with two originally, and many of those tanks were saved long after the motor's bit the dust. Look around a bit and you'll find one or two...<br />- Scott

rwise

Captain

what66<br />I have an extra tank I would let go of, if you are interested e-mail me at wise@rapfire.net<br />also check out this thread <br />Richard

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Just thought I'd throw this in here....how does the electric fuel pump shut down? Does it shut down with the engine? What I'm pointing at is the safety factor here. You don't want it running when the engine is shut down. By all means get the pressure tank.

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks guy the pump i have shuts down when it reaches a set pressure I would wire it in to the ignition circuit .<br />so the pump running with out the engine is not a problem.<br />but I think i will look for a pressure tank.<br />and as for the battery runing down this pump will run at a very low voltage so thnaks guys for your help. :)

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I do use a pump what should I do with the pressure line coming from the engine?<br />I can't plug it can I it put pressure out of the crankcase thanks.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yeah, you can plug it; it only puts out a couple of PSI. You cannot use it for pressure pulses to run a regular fuel pump, since it's a check valve. That is to say, it only puts out positive pulses, no vaccum pulses. <br />Attaching a regular fuel pump to one of the bypass covers is pretty simple. Or you could use the pre-64 fuel pump, and find a place to mount it. That one's my personal favorite, since it's rebuildable and looks neat. :)

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks I'm planing on using an external electric fuel pump.<br />Ive been using it for testing.<br />it will be external pump I'm going to mount it on the boat and use a standerd outboard fuel tank and hoses.<br />They only thing I'm worried abouht is that <br />I'm using a used pump that came form an 1980 honda.<br />I'm just worried that it might fail out on the lake and leave me high and dry.

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I plug the pressure port will it hurt the engine?

Paul Moir

Admiral

No, it will not hurt the engine. It may make it run better. Come up with a good, strong plug though. If the engine ever sneezes, you don't want the plug firing out. :) <br />Like the others above, I cannot recomend you use an electric fuel pump. There's obvious saftey and practicality reasons. Especially when using an automotive fuel pump in a marine environment.<br />Usually, buying a pressurized fuel tank is less expensive than buying and installing a non-pressurized, mechanical system.

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

WELL YOU HAVE A GOOD POINT BUT i FGURE IT WILL COST ME ABOUHT $100 TO GET A GOOD TANK WITH HOSES<br />AND SHIPPING CONCTERS.<br />AS FOR SAFETY i DON'T SEE ANY SAFETY RISKS HERE<br />WHY DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE UNSAFE?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

There are 2 reasons for it being unsafe.<br />If your line for whatever reason gets unhooked from the carb or even just has a leak,you will be pumping fuel into your boat until you find out and shut the pump off.This can easily cause a fire.<br />If for whatever reason there is a fire,you will just be pumping fuel to it.<br />The best way to go is to replace the pressure setup with a regular engine mounted pump. That way your fuel lines are always underpressurized and in case of a leak,they will suck air,instead of spilling fuel.Always when the engine shuts down ,your pump shuts down.

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

BUT CORECT ME IF I'M WRONG THE ORGANAL PRESURISED<br />SYSTEM IS PRESSURIZED FROM THE TANK TO THE MOTOR<br />SO IF IT HAS A LEEK IN THE FUEL LINE IT TO WILL LEAK.<br />BUT IT WOULD ONLY LEAK A LITTLE.<br />YOU GUYS HAVE CONVICED ME I WILL ONLY USE THE ELECTRIC PUMP IN TESTING UNTIL i GET A PRESSURE TANK THANK YOU.

alcan

Commander

Hi What<br /> For the hundred bucks you quoted as the cost of a presure tank. This might be true. For this price you should get a completely rebuilt unit with a gaurentee from your local dealer. New diaphram,hose, O-rings,paint, the works. Now if you scrounge around and dig up your own gem at a garage sale, use your own labor, purchess the new parts, you may be able to come in at about half that. I would advise against using a tank with out first going over it. The fuel line conectors for this system are a week link (actually it's the o-rings in them). The connectors are repairable, so don't ever toss one out. There are more loose tanks than connectors.

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

your right I have found rebuild kits on ebay for the tank.<br />with all the seals and hoses. :)