need help bad super seahorse

pinto 21629

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a 1960 super seahorse 40hp johnson. last sunday i went out for a little fishing on my boat every time i tried to go over 10 on the speed meter the motor would die down then cut out on me but i could start it right back up but at (WOT) it died but if i pulled it back and moved a little it would pick up again at about 10 nots it ran along fine any higher i would have re start it again . when it was running at idle it ran good.a good bit of smoke was comming from the muffler area kinda of like a cloud at low speed i mix the gas right 24:1. when on the trailer putting the tie downs on a green milky looking stuff was dripping from the opening right above the prop but not around the prop and a little from the side that has a screen the water pickup i think. well i think i flooded it when i first put it in the water at the dock i dont know if that would explain the green stuff because i used the trolling motor to go out a little first time haveing the boat in the water when i went to come in thats when i tried to start it again after flooding it about two hours later after fishing. i im new at the boating thing so i dont know much about out boards so if some one can help i would be very very greatful :confused: :confused: :confused: :mad: :(

D

DJ

Re: need help bad super seahorse

What do your spark plugs look like?

pinto 21629

Petty Officer 3rd Class

when at the dock i pulled the plugs to see if it was flooded and it was i looked at them they was kinda of blackish.when i got the boat i cleaned the carb but when trying to tune it i ran out of gas in the yard last summer after that i just never messed with it intill last weekend when i said it cuts out at wot it will run for a bout a half a min or so then it bogs down then it just dies see i dont even know if the other guy put the right plugs in it

bubbakat

Captain

Usually when you have a motor to die down slow like it is fuel related. When it just shuts off real sudden and down quick it is most time something electrical

pinto 21629

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok one more thing i got a thing off of the internet about johnson evinrude small outboard tune up by mastertech they say the basic adjustments for all older john-rude is 1 1/2 for the low speed jet and 3/4 for the hight speed jet is this right or is a 40 any diff or what is the best adjustment for it?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yup, that's right for all the 2-cylinders, 3hp - 40hp. Read Joe Reeves post about 3/4 of the way down here.<br /><br />(1 turn starting point rather than 3/4 on the high speed needle guarentees you're on the rich side).

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The high speed would be closer to 3/8.You should check out all fuel supply systems including filters,to make sure you really do have enough fuel coming to the carburator.Check out if maybe your choke is hanging in closed or almost closed position.

pinto 21629

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i looked at it better in the yaer well i had a gas leak fixed but now i have a new problemwell i hooked up the gas line and just pumped it up to see if i fixed the trouble well when i pump the the bulb many times down at the bottom gas just ran right out i think it is the muffler not sure it right abouve the prop a little thing that sticks out right above the prop well the more i pump it the gas just run out there a good bit of gas to HELP

Paul Moir

Admiral

It sounds to me like you're filling up the crankcase and part of the lower cylinder with gasoline through the fuel pump. Disconnect the 'pressure' line which connects the fuel pump to the intake bypass cover. then squeeze the bulb and see if gas comes out the line. If so, you have a ruptured fuel pump diaphram. Smile, because you should have a rebuildable fuel pump, and the rebuild kit isn't very expensive. Part #18-7801 at NAPA autoparts or iboats. Johnny/Rude dealers should be able to get you an OEM kit (#379777), or you can get one here. Try to get the OEM one, since it'll come with the large spring cap fix. I don't think the aftermarket kit has that part and if you don't have it you'll need it. <br /><br />You'll want to get the gasoline out of the engine; remove the spark plugs and roll the engine so the intake covers face the ground. Then roll the engine so the spark plug holes face the ground. Then carefully turn the engine flywheel slowly a rev. Repeat until no more gasoline comes out the spark plug holes. Have a fire extinguisher handy in case the worst happens!<br /><br />PS - that is the exhaust, but the water you run the engine in is the muffler. :) <br /><br />PPS - The bulb ought to get hard when you pump it, when the fuel system has no leaks.

pinto 21629

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks i will check it i like this board every time i have a tech question i get a answer i think i need to buy a manual been trying to fix it from what i know about a another motor i had because it didnt have a fuel pump so i dont know much about all the hoses that are on this motor or which one the fuel pump is im new at all this

Paul Moir

Admiral

A manual is a must. In addition to saving you greif, it will save you much more money than it costs. Buy an aftermaket one from iboats, or borrow one from the library. The aftermarket ones are written for people with little mechanical experience. Personally, I like the Seloc one for your engine.<br />The OEM manuals are technically superior and have fewer errors than the aftermarket ones. Their downfall is they somtimes refer to special tools, and do not cover acessories. You can get reprints here:<br />TheOutboardWizard<br />Mastertech<br />Marine Engine<br />Ken Cook <br />You can often find OEM ones on ebay too, for a fraction of the price of a new one. Search for 'Johnson Manual' and 'Evinrude Manual'. Unfortunetly, I only see a 1960 40hp parts manual up there now.<br /><br />Good luck!

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Could be some trash in the needle and seat, pull the float bowl and check it out, my 65 evinrude 33 did that one time had a little chunk of varnish in the seat, cleaned it out and no more problem. :D

pinto 21629

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok i looked at the fuel pump on the super sea horse johnson 40hp well there is two holes in the difram im going to get a new one but was wondering if any one had a part# for the carbrator kit and a part# for the impellor for the water pump 1960 johnson sea horse 40 hp model# RDS-22 s# 2128547

Paul Moir

Admiral

Pinto - sounds like you've found your problem.<br />OEM Carb kit: 439074 (get it here or from a Bomb dealer)<br />OEM Waterpump: 379774 (I don't have the impeller number)<br /><br />Aftermarket impeller: 18-3083 (Napa, Iboats)<br />Aftermarket Carb kit: 18-7010 (Napa, Iboats)<br /><br />If you have a cork float, try to get the OEM carb kit. It includes a new plastic float, which won't sink like the old cork ones do. The aftermarket kit does not come with a float.<br /><br />Hope this helps!

pinto 21629

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i got a diaphram re built the fuel pump took it for a test no trouble get it to turn over didnt act like the battrey was draging start right up good so i tested it out started out slow. slowly gave it more gas at wot it did not cut out ran real good im glad some one could help me i got a manual to but this is best web site very very friendly people on here i dont know what i would have done when i heard a 1960 motor run like a new motor i was happy thank u again :) :) :) :)

Paul Moir

Admiral

Thanks for getting back to us!<br />Enjoy your classic boating. :)

pinto 21629

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i have a new problem i looked in the manual but it a little hard to under stand the trouble im haveing now the last couple times i put it the water very very hard to start well the last time would not start at all got it home put it in a barrel of water so i could start it well i seen a leak i dont know if it is the head two half moon shaped covers out next to the plugs one had a pice of the gasket broke away felt like hot air puffing out of where the gastet is broke a water was dripping out of where the two springs are connected to a rod that goes up to the recoil i got it started in the yard but i had to keep my battery charger on it but after i got it started it would start right up but i hope it not a real bad thing i dont have a lot of money to re build the engine but if it just a head gasket no biggy :confused: :confused: :confused:

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sure sounds like you are describing the head. Please don't run it again until you get the head gasket replaced though. If you get very much water in those cylinder heads you will have a bigger problem thn you do now.

Paul Moir

Admiral

That's the compression relief system that's built into the head. The idea is to lower compression for pull-starting by opening up holes in the combustion chamber itself. If it opens while your running, hot exhaust gasses escape causing all sorts of problems. It sounds like this happened to you.<br />You should find and fix the problem that caused them to open while you were running. If new head cover gaskets cannot be ordered from the local dealer, you can make these ones yourself out of gasket material, using a sharp knife and a hole punch.<br /><br />Good thing you caught it!<br /> Recent compression relief post

pinto 21629

Petty Officer 3rd Class

what would cause them to open and how do i fix or how do i find out what caused it