1987 Evinrude 175 V6 Not Starting

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice
This engine is new to me and was just put on the boat. I put it on the muffs and went to crank it over with no luck. Checked everything out and saw that the gas line coming from the fuel tank went to the wrong line. It was went for VRO but no goes nowhere and was plugged up. I put it on the correct cable, pumped it up and gave it a shot with no luck again. I have a shop manual for this engine but it does not have a detailed diagram of the fuel system. Are there any online? Anyone have any advice on where to begin troubleshooting? Thanks in advance!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Evinrude 175 V6 Not Starting

Hi Jacob...make sure the oil nipple on the pan is blocked with a plug or something so it don't suck air.<br /><br />Go to the main menu for the repair forums and look for the FAQ's. JB posted a really great thread that will help ya' out.<br /><br />Keep us posted....thanks.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Does your set-up look like this? This is my engine with the VRO removed. Notice the nipple for the VRO oil intake capped.<br /><br />
insidemotorleft2.jpg

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Rick! Is that a metal clamp I see on that fuel hose? On this engine I would get some outside help until I got it up and running. With the fuel hose on the wrong connector, things are off to a bad start already. That V-6 need's a 3/8 fuel line. The VRO nipple is a 1/4. Get a manual, get professional help, get a little familiar, then take on the machanical task's. I'm not being critical here, but that V-6 can get exspensive to fix.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I know, I know, no metal clamps on the lines, but this fuel line is temporary and got me through the last few runs last year. I'm gonna replace it with a new OMC line before I head out this weekend and get me some "Right" ties. Good Eye there, Mr. Johnson.. ;)

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

I know this can be expensive to fix. Its bleeding me dry already. My setup does look like the picture and the oil line went nowhere. It had maybe a 12 inch tube connected to the back of the oil line and in that tube a screw was put in there to cap it up. Not sure why, maybe in case I wanted to hook it up later. Perhaps where that could be connected it is sucking in air? Not sure where it connects to though. Thanks for the help, I will be sure to check out what else is written to keep me troubleshooting. Thanks!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> sounds like rustybolt bob and a can of krylon has been at work on your engine.<br /> most that disconnect VRO ,especially on big engines either have no clue what it does or they are to cheap to maintain it. no offence to all who proudly say VRO dissconnected. but the VRO system worked very well with proper care and maint. <br /> now. take that 175 down to a trusted dealer.<br /> have them look over what ya bought, check the gearcase check compression and spark. I run them up on the dyno or at least a test wheel if I can I sea trail them. sounds like it would be in your best intrest to pay the tech to seatrail it with you. buy the owners manual and have the tech explain all of it. the alarm system on that motor was flaky and needs to be tested periodically. the t-stats and diaphrams had to be changed as well as the water pump. remember, by the time you NEED a pump odds are rather good that you NEED a piston or two as well. <br /> you were warned that that engine does not tolerate out of spec running. its a big bore crossflow it pops head gaskets easily. we have terrible times with head to block sealing due to no metal left around the cyl sleeve so dont tear it up. good luck and keep posting<br /> remember that you have a very precise close tolerance high performance machine. its not a briggs and stratton

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe I missed something here but why no s.s. hose clamps on the fuel line? It seems like they do a better job than the plastic clamps. BTW..... VRO disconnected and trouble free. I dont have to worry about water collecting in the oil tank.

ledgefinder

Ensign

There aren't any online manuals for that motor. <br /><br />Are you getting spark? Hook up your muffs. Try (with a fire extinguisher handy) a spray bottle with pre-mix (gas/oil) down the carbs, then hit the key. Get a cough anyway?<br /><br />Let us know what happens.

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

Its raining good here in Baltimore today so I will have to wait for the weather to clear. I read over the FAQ and the next thing I am going to try is testing for spark and then squirting some fuel in the carbs. Thanks again. I will keep you guys posted.

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

Update for you guys. There is a red lever on the other side of the engine which I flipped to the other position and then squeezed the ball. Gas began leaking out the front of the carburator. Is this a bad seal or its not tight enough, no gasket or something? Thanks!

ob

Admiral

That red lever is the manual prime lever.Quite normal to have fuel leak from the carbs in the manual position while squeezing the primer bulb.That lever is just there in the event that the electrical solenoid feature of the primer valve body is not working.

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

Am I ok to assume that fuel is making it everywhere it needs to be and to look somewhere else other than the fuel system? The next thing I will do is check spark. Thanks.

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

Also, should that manual prime lever be fully open, closed or in the middle?

ob

Admiral

Manual prime lever should be positioned Inline with the primer valve body ,in the normal "run" position.<br />First thing I would do is to follow your manuals instructions and perform a spark test.If that checks out fine ,perform a compression test as per manuals instructions.If all is well there as well ,we can begin chasing a fuel issue if that's where the first two tests leads us.Keep us posted.

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

ob, I guess I am a little ignorant on this whole matter. I am not sure what the normal run position is. I can only tell if its opened, closed or somewhere inbetween. Also, I did a little more research and found that possibly the float inlet needle and seat may need cleaning if fuel pours out of the carb. Could this be the issue or I should just stick with the easy stuff first and start guessing later? Thanks.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

From what you write sounds to me like you have a manual but are not using it particularly when you say "Could this be the issue or I should just stick with the easy stuff first and start guessing later?"<br /><br />If you want to get that puppy running you need to follow the manual, JB's FAQ and forget about guessing and hopping from this to that. If you troubleshoot methodically you will take less time, pain and probably money than going the hit or miss route.

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I checked for spark today and there was none. My next step is going through the ignition troubleshooting in my manual. Thanks to all who have helped so far.

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

Another Update:<br /><br />I now have spark and fuel to the engine. According to the manual the only other thing to keep it from starting would be the timing? <br /><br />Anyone have any ideas? <br /><br />Thanks.

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

After flipping through the manual some more I came across a "problem/probable cause" section for "engine has spark and fuel but wont start". I have eliminated everything in the list of probable causes except for air leak. Also, my primer bulb gets very firm, but not completely hard like it did on my old engine. Could this also point to an air leak? Aside from a visual inspection, which looks good, what else would be a good way to tell if a leak is present? Thanks.