water temp

wayne 39

Cadet
how long should it take before water starts coming out of the hose on the side of the motor? i have a 94 120 hp erude. i count to 15 before it starts pumping i was thinking it should start before this. i ran it today and the water was 47% the motor ran great. does it need to warm up longer in colder water?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: water temp

Wayne,<br />I don't know on yours, but every OMC product I've had started pi**ing right away, cold water or not. I'm not sure if the T-stats on yours have to open or not before it starts putting out a stream. Others will chime in and offer their opinion...

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wayne,<br /><br />The few ob i've had squrted at start up as RB has stated. I thought the tell tale stream was the discharge of the water pump before going thru the engine, not neceserly after the thermostats? I could be wrong hopefully someone can enlighten me-us.<br /><br />Beck

dacooley

Cadet

Yep... Should start peeing before pretty much right away...<br />sounds like the water pump could be going out, or there could be crud sucked into it pluggung the passages...<br />it get's it's water from the exhaust housing cover where the water comes in, and before the thermostats.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yep sounds about right<br /> it usually makes a lot of hissing as it purges air just before it starts.<br /> if it has always done this and you know the pump and t-stats are in good shape dont sweat it.<br /> good luck and keep posting

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Guys....don't these 120's take the tell tale from somewhere around the t-stat or on top of the engine somewhere? These engines got that huge cavity in the middle 'tween the cylinder banks. Maybe takes a few seconds to fill. Just my $.02 worth.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Goshes,I don't know. I've never owned anything that new. :confused: <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Me ether Hooty....newiest thing I got is a '86.

Walker

Captain

I have that motor and mine does take a little while before water comes out the Tell-tale. I haven't counted it down but I don't think it takes 15 seconds. More like 8-10 seconds on mine.

wayne 39

Cadet

thanks all the hose does come off the top of the block by the tstats. it has been awhile since i ran the motor i checked the tstats and one has a small cut in the rubber other that that it seems to run fine.

wayne 39

Cadet

OBJ<br />thanks i think you were right one of the stats has a small cut in the rubber. a guy told me he took his out and runs his motor. i think it was put there for a reason. i may have picked up some cude in the tub i first had it in

Hooty

Rear Admiral

You're dead-on right. Don' run that thang without a thermostat.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

wayne 39

Cadet

i put the new rubber washer in but the new one had a hard washer in it but the one i took didn't would this make a diffrence.