Trying to start 1963 40hp Evinrude

lukeyboy

Cadet
Iv never seen this engine running, when I got it with the boat I bought the engine was seized, iv managed to free it up, and iv checked the sparks and there both ok.<br /><br />But the motor still wont start.<br /><br />So here are my questions.<br /><br />1. I'm unshore if the compression is any good. how do I find this out?<br /><br />2. what do these pipe connections attach to? (there was nothing attached to them when i got the outboard)<br /><br />
pipes1.jpg
<br /><br />3. what dose this pipe connection attach to? its a screw hole and your looking at the side of the carb(there was nothing attached to it when i got the outboard)<br /><br />
pipe2.jpg
<br /><br />4. I also need a full set of gaskets and a prop. were could I get these from? iv been searching around but haven't found any yet. I will only get these if I can prove to myself the engine will run first.<br /><br />This is the first outboard iv tried to fix, so if all these questions can be answered i will be over the moon! and if i get that engien running ill be the most happy man on this forum.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Luke

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Trying to start 1963 40hp Evinrude

A picture's worth a thousand words Luke!<br /><br />1. Borrow or get a compression tester from any automotive tools store. They're not very expensive. Get the one that screws into the spark plug hole, not the one that just pushes in. You're going to need both hands elsewhere.<br />Screw the compression tester into the spark plug hole and crank the engine with the spark plug wires detached and connected to the block. If you're not set up to do the electric start, simply wrap a rope around the flywheel and pull. You'll notice they've made accomadations for you to do this. Pull 5 or 6 times.<br />Record your results. You're looking for no more than 10% difference between cylinders, and *probably* more than 90psi.<br /><br />2. That sends pressure pulses to the fuel pump to "power" it. What's connected to your carburator now? The engine will not run with this fitting "open". A 1/8" NPT (plumbing) brass plug could replace the fitting for testing.<br /><br />3. That's part of the heat choke. Air is heated by the exaust at the exhaust manifold, and it's pulled into the choke by manifold vaccum through a pipe that goes between the carburator and the exhaust manifold.<br /><br />4. Many places online. Napa autoparts can get you a lot of parts for that engine too. I'll get back to you on that.<br /><br />EDIT 2. I didn't notice the other circle. The line on the bottom connects to the intake manifold, behind and to the left of the carburator. That's a saftey device that shuts off the spark if manifold vaccum gets too high. That what happens when the engine "runs away", or overrevs by itself in neutral/no load. Do *not* 'rev' or operate these engines above 1500rpm when not in gear or not on a boat. Not unless you'd like to see that flywheel really take flight!!<br /><br />EDIT 2 again: I was looking at the wrong thing again. I'm not sure what that's for. Could it be a bypass for the cooling water? Is there a coresponding fitting on the opposite side of the engine, just to the right of the exaust manifold?<br /><br />EDIT 5: You really really want a manual. I like the Seloc one for that era. The OEM one is also very good. You can get the Seloc one here at iboats. You can get a reprint of the OEM one from www.kencook.com <br />Sometimes you can find a used OEM one on ebay for a lot less then what Ken Cook wants. If you're in a real hurry to wrench, your local library may also have several outboard manuals.

lukeyboy

Cadet

Thanks alot for the reply! its made alot of things clearer in my mind.<br />Iv drew a scetch of were all the pipes go that are attached to the outboard nameing each pipe a letter!<br /><br />
diagram.jpg
<br /><br />After looking at the engien more closly i think the 2 mystery pipe conections (my question 2)must join together. it seems to make sence as i cant find anywere ells for them to go! i just want to make shore every one ells agree's.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Luke

Paul Moir

Admiral

OK, I think I see where this is going!<br /><br />Have a look at pipe "B". It connects the fuel pump to the block. But that looks like it's going into the water jacket on the block, not the crankcase! <br /><br />I think pipe "B" is going to the wrong place, and it should go to the bypass cover plate "top mystery pipe". Where "B" came from then attaches to the bottom mystery pipe, so that coolant can recirculate. Does that make sense to you?<br /><br />I hope someone can come along and confirm this!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Paul. The fuel pump hose,"B", should go to the bypass cover.<br /><br />I think the place where the fuel pump hose is going now, should go to the inlet on the choke. The outlet of the choke, I believe, should go to that nipple right below the vacuum switch.<br /><br />I'll have to look when I get to the shop tomorrow but I think between Paul and me, we got the hose routing correct.....I hope.

lukeyboy

Cadet

That dose make sence!<br />I hope someone else will put there opinion across.<br /><br />If this is the case it meens who ever had it befor has conected water in to the fuel pump and water to the cylinders! this would be a good explination of why it wont start. Also why it was seazed and could be the reson there was grit in the Cylinders! I just thouht that was the gaskets.

lukeyboy

Cadet

I think the place where the fuel pump hose is going now, should go to the inlet on the choke. The outlet of the choke, I believe, should go to that nipple right below the vacuum switch.
So "fule out A" is going to the Wrong place to! so were is the "choke Inlet and the choke outlet"? and also what/were is the vacume switch?<br /><br /> Is fuel even getting to the cylinders?

Paul Moir

Admiral

No, fuel line 'A' is right. If you wipe the grime off the pump around the nipple, you will see a little OUT printed there.<br /><br />The choke line is completly different. It's a small metal tube that connects the exhaust manifold cover to the large round thing (hot air choke) on the left side of the carburetor. The exhaust manifold cover is that smooth panel just to the left of the fuel pump. Your line seems to be missing.<br /><br />You've got a long way to go before worring about fuel getting to the cylinders! A compression check is essential. If it doesn't have good compression, it will not be worth proceeding with a repair.

lukeyboy

Cadet

OK but so far! i need to put the pressure line from the fule pump in to the "top Mystery Pipe" Hole! then put a pipe from the bottom Mystery pipe hole to the place on top of the engien were the pressure pipe was!!<br /><br />so far is that correct?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Luke...if your really going to get this engine running, give strong consideration to a service manual. Check the site below for a reprint of the original.<br /><br /> http://www.kencook.com/b/mp1.htm <br /><br />It will tell you in half the time what we all have posted tonight.<br /><br />Course....we are still here should you need some help.

bubbakat

Captain

I have one of those engines up in the shed. One of the hoses that comes out of the water jacket goes to the choke because they had a warm water choke on them. I can take some pics tomorrow and do in sequence and e-mail them to you if you like

alcan

Commander

Hi luke<br />The covers that have the so called mystrey holes are called by-pass covers. Only one by-pass cover needs to have a hole and fitting. This is to operate the fuel pump. If both by-pass covers are vented plug one off. These guy's here are steering you right. The main reason you should get the manual is to help you better comunicate. After a closer look at your pictures (good job btw)it looks to me like the bottom fitting is coming from the block below the bottom by-pass cover. <br /> Ok, I'll give this a shot. Starting at the fuel connector, a hose goes to the fuel pump intake, then from the fuel pump out flow to the carb intake. Now from the fuel pump presure side to the by-cover,(Fuel system complete). Now for the choke run the hose from the fitting under the bottom by-pass cover to the fitting on the choke actuater. You are missing this fitting, you will need one. Then you have the hose from the safety vacuume switch to the intake manifold, this will be a smaller hose. The smallest hose is the oil recirulation drain,This little hose runs from the top main bearing area to the bottom main bearing area. Keep us posted lets see is this rascal will run.

lukeyboy

Cadet

thanks thats great lets see what i can make of this now.<br /><br />bubbakat if you can send me sime pictures my email is Luke @mgf.co.uk (without the space after the Luke)

bubbakat

Captain

Luke boy I do believe I have lied to you. I went to my shop today and looked at the motor and me or someone has pulled all the hoses off of the motor. I am very sorry for this.

lukeyboy

Cadet

Its ok no worries<br /><br />Me and a friend are having another go at it today if its not to cold out!<br /><br />Im not giving up yet!