Where do you find carb jets for Evinrude's

schweg2

Seaman Apprentice
I just put in a pair of boyesen reeds on my 84 Evinrude 60hp and it said to richen the idle circuit. I went to my evinrude dealer and they said all they can get are the stock sized jet. Does anybody know where I could get a couple?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where do you find carb jets for Evinrude's

The dealer should be able to get larger idle jets. Your 60 takes a No. 46 idle jet. PN 327342. Tell them you want the next size or bigger, what ever the instructions tell you. I'm kinda wonderin, did you rebuild the engine or did you install the reeds in an "as is" engine? If I recall, the instructions on the reeds say you may not need to enlarge the jets if the motor is not new. Just curious.

schweg2

Seaman Apprentice

The directions said if it's an old motor or modified you might not have to change jets. Mine is in good shape has good compression so I just assumed it would need to be jetted.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Well...better safe than sorry I guess. Try the bigger jet. If it idles like crap, you can always put the old ones back in and only be out 7 or 8 bucks. Cheaper than doing the reeds over again. :eek:

Hooty

Rear Admiral

If those are bleed air orfices, ya need to go smaller, not larger.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

walleyehed

Admiral

Hooty is correct, and 5 sizes RICHER is what you need I believe.<br />Here's the instructions: If you have idle bleed air jets, downsize idle jets by 5 (5 thousandths), If you have low-speed FUEL jets, Increase by 2 (2 thousndths).<br />If engine is extremely worn, no adjustments may be needed, but warranty is null and void if jet change is not made.<br /><br />This is right out of BOYESEN instructions.<br /><br />EDIT: Most dealers will tell you they can't get the jets but they are not being straight with ya, they don't want to be liable for a melt-down, as they don't understand the reed systems anyway. (Not all dealers are this way, so don't anyone go taking that personal)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Nice when ya' got the instructions in front of ya'. :D :D

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Go back to your stupid-a@% dealer and tell him to look in ANY factory service manual from the last 15 years and look at the back of the "fuel system" chapter in the book. The last two or three pages has all of the jet sizes that OMC/Bomb makes. Must be 200 or so!!! BTW, I don't think dealers are afraid to sell you parts so that you'll blow up your engine, your dealers parts man is dumb or lazy. Or both!!!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

P.V. is correct about the service manuals listing the jet sizes. I believe you have to look in a 1997 or earlier manuals since the EPA regulations apply to 1998 models and later, and the different jet sizes are not listed in the later books.

schweg2

Seaman Apprentice

Ya, she was looking at the picture of the carb breakdown trying to find the jets. I'll have to tell her there in the back off the book. Does anybody lean there main circuit? Is it pretty fat from the factory? Thanks!!!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Take the part number I posted you and make sure you get the right thread size. There's 3 different thread sizes (I think 3). The part numbers are in numerical order.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

And never interchange a "C" jet with a "D" jet or vise versa. <br /><br />schweg2 -- I wouldn't lean out the mid or high jets. Most motors are on the verge of lugging anyway. We don't want any more combustion heat than is already there.<br /><br />Good luck!

schweg2

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the info!!!

davidkgt

Cadet

Just found this thread, I am having a similar issue. I have a 1990 johnson 70 that im rebuilding .03 over. everything ive read says to increase the jets .002 larger. I have 2 in each carb, #35 for the idle, and the other is a #52d. So what do I need?