Lower unit oil color

bubbakat

Captain
why would the oil in the lower unit be black.<br />no bad smell just black and no water.<br />is there a prob or has the oil been there to long<br />No metal not grit or grime

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Lower unit oil color

What do you know about this engine? How long has it been in there? Could just be REAL old!!

bubbakat

Captain

It belongs to a friend of mine and i know he hasn't serviced it in ten years.<br />So I am trying to get him ready for spring.

freeboat

Cadet

If it is black and thick with no particles (metal shavings and stuff) in it...then it is just old probably. Change it, run it, check it again.

freeboat

Cadet

By the way....I just got an Evinrude 1990 70 horse from a friend also....had not changed the lower unit oil for about 5 years. Was really black and thick (no smell). I changed it obviously, have had the boat out twice in the lake since, no leaks, no water, oil is perfect.

LubeDude

Admiral

Guess just oxidation causes gear lube to turn black when it gets old!!<br /><br />Just tore down a Muncie 65 Corvette transmission that was the same way! Unfortunatly it took laquer thinner to clean everything up,Once the inside of a lower unit gets this way there is no way to really clean it! The fortunate thing about it is that everything being black doesnt hurt anything if you can put it out of your mind! Freeboat is right, change it and you will be fine!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I've flushed l/u's with premix. Put the bottom plug in, fill with premix, spin the prop shaft for a minute or two, dump the premix, air out the l/u, fill with l/u lube, spin the shaft a coupla more minutes, dump that lube, refill and send it to the water. <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

bubbakat

Captain

Thanks guys for all the replies. You told me what I needed to know,<br />Hooty that is the route I took to get it cleaned out. Showed my friend how to change the oil and told him to change it at least three times this summer.<br /> BTW I figured he deserved that for letting it go so long :D