Frozen OMC Seadrive

mantrep

Recruit
I have a 1985 1.6 liter seadrive outboard. Ran it fine during the summer. After the last cleaning it has been sitting for about 3 months.<br /><br />I couldnt get it started so I took it to the shop. It turns out there was water in the head and created some rust inside. Now it is frozen!<br />The mechanic opened it up and said it "looks" okay (except for the light surface rust). He suggested I fill the head with "marvel mystery oil" and let it sit. He said there is a chance it may free things up.<br /><br />Any other suggestions? I would like to sell my "hole in the water" but its not going anywhere like it is.<br /><br />HELP!! mantrep@ix.netcom.com

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Frozen OMC Seadrive

Welcome!!<br /><br />Sorry to hear about your troubles. First I would try to determine where the water came from. A common thing for that motor is to injest water and it gets to the top and bottom main bearings first. If it blew a head gasket the tech would have seen that. You have nothing to lose by soaking it to see if it will free up. Personaly I wouldnt try to start it but go ahead and disassemble it. Then you can see what you have.<br /><br />Good luck!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I have a pair of 1988s & have had no problems with the SeaDrives in the 10 yrs I've had the boat. When I bought the boat one motor was frozen. I had to replace the power head on the other this summer (the problem had nothing to do with the SeaDrive). On the SeaDrive you do need to be careful comming off a plane as the motor does sit close to the water.<br /><br />Your mechanic has the answer. Marvel Mystery oil is just that - a mystery - but it does work. Tilt the motor all the way up so that the oil can seep down to the rings. Let it sit for a couple of days then put a breaker bar on the nut on top of the crank - tap it if need be - if it dosen't break free easily I would tap the top of each piston with a hammer & block of wood.<br /><br />Please let us know the result.

mantrep

Recruit

Well I let it sit for a few days full of the "mystery" oil! WAAALLAA! IT is FREE! The flywheel is now turning by hand! I will be replacing the head gaskets and trying to fire it up. <br />Thanks for your advice on the problem.<br /><br />PS. Know anybody who wants to buy a boat????