75 hp evinrude lower unit

muffmooch

Cadet
Recently I went to change my lower unit oil and it was foamy with water. I had the unit resealed sring of 2002. I put a pressure test on the unit like the manual said. The unit is holding at 18psi for the last hour.Is there some way that water could still get into the unit with it holding this kind of pressure? Could I have had to much water pressure on my earmuffs when I was running the motor in my driveway? Should I reseal it anyway? It seems like a waste if its holding pressure.Any help will be appreciated. Birdman

muffmooch

Cadet
Re: 75 hp evinrude lower unit

I'm sorry. I shold have added that the motor is a 1976 evinrude 75 hp 3 cyl.Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Did you perform a vacuum test also? New seals on the fill/drain & vent plugs?

muffmooch

Cadet

No I did not do a vacume test. There is no instructions in my manual. What is the process and what are the values I'm looking for? Again thanks for any help.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You can buy a vacuum/pressure tester at a local autoparts store. Pull a vacuum as far as it will go(20-30 HG) and let it sit for a few hours. See if the gauge drops. If so, you have a bad seal again. Did you replace the seals/washers on the fill/drain,vent screws last time or lately?? If the vacuum holds, sounds like the screw seals.