Carb Questions?

fsutim

Seaman
I have a 1978 70hp johnson. This past weekend I took apart my carbs and installed the rebuilt kit. I put the carbs back on the boat and it is still flooding. I set the floats correctly but I wasn't sure how to set the high and low speed screws or if my carb even has them. My manual is a piece of junk and doesn't explain anything. when I took out the screw at the top of the carb there was a little plug in the back that was backed all the way in. You can see a picture of this on the lync below. I removed the screw at the bottom of the float bowl and looked inside there and saw something in the back that almost looked like what came out of the top screw hole but I was unable to get it out with a small screwdriver. What are these? Does anyone know how to set my carb from not flooding? Are these screws my high and low speed settings. My manual shows that there is suppose to be some needle coming out of the top. I dont have this. All I have is what is shown in the picute in the bottom lync. This boat is driving me insane, I've had it for one month and every time i've taken it out it starts up fine and then wont start again. Any information on how to set this carb would be wonderful!<br /><br />you may have to copy all the lync to the address bar because it is two lines long and some of it was cut off.<br /><br /> http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=584335

fsutim

Seaman
Re: Carb Questions?

What is an idle pick-up timing set? How do you set the engine in sync? What is adjustable on this carb to change the fuel/air ratio? I dont have the money to spend $70 an hour for a mechanic thats why I'm asking for help online.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You will need a manual to put this engine in proper sync. The fixed jets control the air fuel mixture. There is no adjustment. The idle timing is set at top dead center. That is where the cam follower, and roller just touch at idle. It would take to long to explain the whole process here, but without the proper manual you are groping in the dark. You may have to bite the bullet on this one.

fsutim

Seaman

R.Johnson,<br />Thanks for the reply. I'm going to go out and look for a good manual tonight and possibly look at other possible problems. I bought a spark tester today. By using this would this tell me if it is possibly not working on all cylinders, and How would I use this? Could I just pull the wires out while it is running to see if it sounds different, and If I can should I use a special puller so I dont get jolted.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I don't know what kind of spark tester you have, but here is something you can try. With the boat on the trailer, pull a plug wire and stick a 1/4 in. bolt in the plug boot. Using an insulated pliers, hold the bolt 1/2 in. from the block and have someone crank the engine. Spark should jump this gap. One thing I should mention on this 3 cyl. engine. If you have a carb slightly open at idle, you may not here a change in the engine when you pull the wire to that cyl. Again! this is where proper sync comes into play. My wife thinks I should just come down there and fix it. We have a daughter, and family just outside of your city.