Evinrude 48SPL cutting out on bottom cylinder

Benday

Cadet
My rude is cutting out on the bottom cylinder when I advance the throttle. Just before planning speed I lose the bottom cylinder. It has a little fuel on it when I check the plug. At low speed it will run on either plug with the other wire pulled. When I am running it on just the lower cylinder (top wire pulled) it will run till half speed then stops suddenly (not intermitantly). Will run forever on just the top one, or both at low speed.<br />Should I change the mag first, or have the carb cleaned?<br />Thanks, Ben

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude 48SPL cutting out on bottom cylinder

Ben - Before you turn your wallet upside down buyin parts, it might be a good idea to find out what the problem is. I would start by swappin plugs between cylinders, then plug wires, then coils. Run after each swap & test. Bet you find the real problem without spending a dime.<br /><br />Then is the time to buy parts.

Benday

Cadet

Have done the swapping plug thing and it is still the bottom cylinder that cuts out at half throttle or more. Is either gas or spark problem I am sure. Which should be the easiest to test? <br />Ben

abrownpe

Recruit

Did you ever figure out what it was?

I have the same problem.