87 60 HP Evenrude Grinding going into reverse

Hello all: I have a 87 60 HP Evenrude that when pulling back into reverse it is grinding and won't go. I am new to boating and was wondering if anyone could help with this problem<br />Thanks and happy floating<br />kevin_clockman

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: 87 60 HP Evenrude Grinding going into reverse

Shifter cable is likely out of adjustment. When you try to access the forward gear, how far do you have to push the shifter? Does it engage almost immediately? How is the travel in relation to the travel to get Rev?<br /><br />TMD

Hooty

Rear Admiral

One more thing. When shifting into gear, don't just ease it in, slam it in with authority. The grinding you hear is the clutch dogs and it's real tuff on 'um.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Sorry for my next post I just found where to check for answers. When you put it in forward it goes about 1/16" then will take. When you put it in reverse it acts like it wants to go but jumps back out and the shifter is almost all of the way back Kevin_clockman

Hooty

Rear Admiral

It's like the MD said, sounds like the shift cable is out of adjustment. If you want to confirm that, disconnect the shift cable from the shift arm, at the engine, and then shift into reverse using the shift arm. If it shifts ok like that, the cable needs adjusting or replacing.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

ob

Admiral

Follow Hooty's procedure and confirm that the engine will shift fully into reverse using the shift arm.If engine isn't running while performing the shift arm test ,make sure that you spin the prop while shifting.If engine is running ,be careful around the prop. If the shift arm test checks out and lower unit seems to be fully engaging into forward and reverse gears ,place the shift arm in the neutral position and note whether the shift cable clevis is aligned with the hole in the shift arm.If not,with the throttle control lever in the neutral position, adjust the shift cable trunion until the holes are aligned and reinsert pin.<br /><br />If this adjustment procedure doesn't work ,you likely have a worn shift dawg or reverse gear lobes are worn causing it to slip out of engagement.Good luck.

Thanks to all for the information. I sure am glad I joined this forum. Being from the mech. side but on heavy equipment I believe I can do this. Thanks again<br />kevin_clockman Have a great week end