Electrical Woes and Fuel

MoneyPit03

Cadet
Great site folks.<br /><br />I guess that I am a sucker for hard luck cases. I recently purchased an '86 Robalo 2120 with an '86 225 Evinrude. From what I can tell, the model number is 396684RPH (Tag on transom is not legible.<br /><br />Pulled the power pack and found a mess of black goo beneath on the starboard side of the engine. From what I can tell, the power pack is fried along with the harness and switch assembly that temporarily cuts ignition as the tranny is put in gear. There is a cooling device beneath the power pack that was completely melted (mounts to the block and inserts cooling fins into the water cavity). Is this part of the stator? It appears that there are not any quick disconnects beneath the fly wheel associated with this thing. <br /><br />There is an open ended wire that runs from the starting solenoid to this general area. I am assuming that it just inserted into the cooling device since I could not find any other place for it to go.<br /><br />Any suggestions on what caused this to happen? Also, what is the purpose of the wire from the solenoid. <br /><br />Additionally, having a fuel pressure issue when the engine had a load. Ran fine at idle. I assume it is because of the power pack issue. Any suggestions most welcomed.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Electrical Woes and Fuel

MoneyPit....that gizmo with the fins is the rectifier/regulator for battery charging. The wire going over to the solenoid is the battery charging wire from the rectifier. Sounds like ya' had a pretty good melt down.<br /><br />If yer gonna do the work yer self, get a OEM manual. Will pay for itself in one job. <br /><br />What ya need to do is find out why everything overheated. Did the engine overheat? Could there have been an electrical short to ground from the rectifier? These are some of the questions needing answers before we put the boat back on the water.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Double ditto the OE manual. First lets look at what you have. You mention "the" power pack. Does it have only one mounted in the center behind the flywheel? If so you have a 1988 or newer -- at least as far as the ignition goes. Lets figure that out before you order the wrong manual.<br /><br />The damage you describe could be from a fire. Its not that uncommon. If the regulator/rectifier (the water cooled device) shorted out its very possible. Especially if the tach quit working and they kept running the motor.<br /><br />Anyway, lets figure out the ignition first -- single or twin packs?<br /><br />Good luck!

MoneyPit03

Cadet

Morning fellas.<br /><br />To be honest, I do not know much of the history on the boat other than that it sat for most of the last 2 years.<br /><br />From what I can tell, the engine has not over heated. Although it may make sense since a new water pump had been recently installed after it was moved out of storage.<br /><br />We have found some wiring issues. First, the ground wire that attaches below the cowl was not fastened. Then, we also have found some other loose wiring at ground points. So, it could be a combination of over heating and wiring issues. <br /><br />You are right though, we need to find the culprit of what this thing over heated. We are lucky we did not have a fire.<br /><br />There are 2 power packs installed, attached to a single bus bar above the rectifier/regulator. It appears that the wiring from the stator is a single piece that attaches to the rectifier/regulator. Would you have to order a combination of the 2 to make the fix?<br /><br />By the way, the tach is in-op as well. Maybe that is another symptom?<br /><br />We do have an OEM manual. Just trying to make sense of all the terms at this point. Thanks.

MoneyPit03

Cadet

From what you guys know, does 396684RPH look like a good model number for this engine? I found this number on the plug at the back of the engine on the water jacket. Thanks again.

MoneyPit03

Cadet

One more thought that I forgot to mention. We had a spark plug wire sever at the coil while underway. It is possible that is the culprit that burned up the rectifier regulator and powerpack.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> Flaming water cooled regulators were common on J/E. a good one will roast the stator and every wire above the top of the cylinders. sounds like it is time for a total rewire. buy a harness,stator,packs make sure the coils did not get melted. inspect the timer base. inspect and at least re epoxy the flywheel magnets. but first off you must get a manual.usually lack of water will seize the engine before lighting the regulator on fire.most regulator fires are battery cable issues.althogh sometimes its a NAR failure. NAR is navy for No Apperent Reason. good luck and keep posting

MoneyPit03

Cadet

Got her up and running again.<br /><br />Replaced the starboard power pack, rectifier, and tranny switch. Getting 5200 RPM and 42 MPH out of the ole Rude 225.<br /><br />Only hitch is when moving from cruise power setting to full power, there is a slight hesitation before she catches up. Could this be a jetting issue?<br /><br />Thanks for the input.