Testing new VRO

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class
We have decided to install a new VRO on our 225HP evinrude (1994, model E225TXARK).<br /><br />The engine was consuming a lot of oil, with lot of smoke (at the start and also during trip). I havent measured the quantity per fuel volume, but all I know is that the oil tank goes near empty in a normal day use (around 30 miles total trip) and the fuel tank never goes less than half (I think the tank is 450 liters, but I am not sure!). For a trip to the beach and return, we allways need to buy 3 or 4 bottles of TCW3, and I think we are very far from using half of a gas tank just for that.<br /><br />Anyways, as it is an old motor, the new VRO adds a bit of peace of mind to me. However, I would like to hear some advise in respect of how to test if everything is ok once the new vro is installed. I have carefully read the installation diagram (which I kept today when my mechanic showed me the new vro) and I plan to visually inspect the unit once installed. Of course, I wont see if he installed the orings or replaced the pulse limiter. I hope he will do it right. I just need some testing procedure to check if it is working properly. I hate that the oil tank has not a graduated scale to indicate level. I dont have a fuel rate instrument. All I have is the gas tank level indicator, and I have never verified if it really is accurate.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Testing new VRO

Hi Kesh....<br /><br />First, ask the mechanic if all the VRO alarms have been tested and if he would go over them with you. If he is serious about what he does, he will gladly do this for you.<br /><br />Take a marker and put your own marks on the oil reservoir. This is just to see if the oil is being used.<br /><br />Finally, run oil in the gas tank until you are satisfied that oil is being used from the VRO oil reservoir, via the scribe lines I mentioned above.<br /><br />The alarms are:<br /><br />Steady tone > Overheat or restricted fuel flow.<br /><br />An urgent 1/2 sec every 1/2 sec tone > No oil or restricted oil flow at the VRO pump.<br /><br />A 1/2 sec tone every 20 sec's or so > Low oil reservoir level.<br /><br />Hope this has helped.

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Jim<br /><br />could you please tell me how to check the alarms? I mean, is it just a matter of grounding the wires coming from the vro one by one?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You can check the pulse limiter to see if its the blue-gray color at one end. The older version was black.<br /><br />To test a "VRO", hook up a 50:1 mix to the motor and disconnect the oil line. Run the motor, it will take a while to use up residual oil in the pump. Eventually the alarm should sound NO OIL, rapid on and off beeps. Hook up the line and soon the alarm should stop, showing that the "VRO" primed itself. Make sure your horn is operational before attempting the test. Be sure to use the factory clamps on the oil line, no zip ties or worm gear fasteners.<br /><br />The service manual shows a procedure using 1/4" clear line and meausring the amt. of oil with each "pulse" of the VRO.<br /><br />Because the motor was consuming lots of oil, your fuel system may be the problem. IF there are any air leaks into the fuel line from hardened hoses, loose clamps, rusted filters, etc., the VRO will pump more oil due to the aerated fuel. IF there is a fuel restrection, you will get the same indication, but the vacuum switch should sound the steady horn at higher speeds.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect Tan wire at temp. sensor on back of powerhead and ground it with the key in the ON position to test the overheat warning. Disconnect the wire at the oil tank sensor when running the motor and shortly the warning should beep every 1/2 second. To test the no oil alarm, you would need to hook up a portable tank with pre=mix and then disconect the oil line from the tank to the VRO. When running the motor, You would get the "Urgent" alarm 1/2 second on and 1/2 second off. Hope this helps.

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to thank you all again, your explanations are very clear and of high value for me. I will do all the tests and let you know about the results. Unfortunately, being an employee leaves me with scarse time during the week to work on the boat. Lets see when I can do the testing.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> hey kesh<br /> I have had some experience lately with mechanics in rio chico. my fiancee neglected to tell them I had all my tools most the parts and what I did for a living. I found dishonety is very high there.a simple test of the oil consumption is to record how much oil is being used fill the tank completly before use and after use. and compare it to the amount of fuel used. it should be 50-75 to one. if you burned 50 gallons of gasoline you should have burned about 1 gallon of oil. good luck and keep us posted. and I always reccomend changing the pump every 5 to 7 years. its a rubber diaphram. those people that rely soley on alarms are called rebuild customers. <br /> PS Mayte wants me to go to porta la cruz to look at some marina there. if I go I will post ya

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Rod, thanks for the post. I have had no time to email you to the yahoo address, because lately I am busy as hell in the office. Yeah, from the experience I have as a mechanic myself, I know that dishonesty is very high here. I have found many times that people dont do the work like it should be done, and sometimes they even lie about it. It is also obvious that getting training and continuous improvement courses is a rare thing here, because of the deteriorating economic situation. That's why I'm so cautious when relying on someonelse work on my car, home, electric appliances, boat or whatever.<br /><br />Yes, I don't want to rely only on the alarms. I wanna be sure that at least the vro is new and probability of failure is low. **** happens sometimes anyways, but I prefer to minimize the exposure to risk.<br /><br />If you decide to come, you are welcome ! (maybe I can get a free outboard inspection!) ...ok, ok, not free, I can give you a ride onboard the Tai-Tai.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello kesh<br /> a ride sounds cool<br />and I want to see if a marina and maybe a tow servive would work on lake maricabo. what do you think ?

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

well, I don't know anything about Maracaibo lake, except that it is in the west side of the country...lol...I have only been there once, too many years ago and at that time I knew nothing about boating.

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

The new VRO has been installed. I went today to the marina and visually inspected the job. Pulse limiter was replaced (new one, blue color is now in place). All clamps were ok, except for one, and I ordered to replace it (I will take a look tomorrow to see if they did).<br /><br />Looks like everything is ok. I hope that I will test all alarms friday night or saturday morning. I will let you know.<br /><br />IMPORTANT QUESTION: I found that there is an electric cabkle broken, coming from a sensor that is located below the VRO, to the right (it enters the engine block). I don't know what is the function of that sensor. Help !!!!!!! I asked the mechanic to take a look at it.<br /><br />Thanks again.

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMPORTANT QUESTION: I found that there is an electric cabkle broken, coming from a sensor that is located below the VRO, to the right (it enters the engine block). I don't know what is the function of that sensor. Help !!!!!!! I asked the mechanic to take a look at it.