2004 Glastron GS249

borourke

Seaman
Hello All:<br /><br />I was at the Cincinatti boat show yesterday and I am now concidering buying a 2004 Glastron GS249 with trailer and 5.0 Volvo Engine. I have not heard a lot about Glastron boats in the past but it appears to be a well built boat with a lot of nice ammenties like AC, pump out hear, shore power, etc... All the things my current '93 230 Sundancer does not have.<br /><br />Any information good or bad that anyone has experienced with this boat or Glastron in general would be much appreciated. If you need additional information, please let me know.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Brian

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2004 Glastron GS249

http://www.glastron.com/pages/Models/GS249.html <br /><br />I think you would be a lot happier with a 5.7L sized engine in a boat that weighs 4400 lbs dry, vs. a 220 HP 5.0L engine.<br /><br />I know you probably aren't buying it for speed, but for resale, and drivability, at least consider a 5.7.<br /><br />Think of it as a "percentage increase" not the several thousand dollars more for the bigger engine.

borourke

Seaman

I was concerned about the engine size vs. the boat weight (4,400 lbs), but the special that is being offered does not include the 5.7. Does anyone have a boat / motor combination that is close and can offer up some info? Also anyone have any general info on Glastron overall?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Glastron has been around since the dawn of fiberglass boat time. They generally make an excellent product and are typically a reasonable price. Right now with the molding system they use, they're state-of-the-art and I don't think you could do better with any other brand (except maybe Larson which is the same thing). The power package is of excellent quality as well and the only issue I'd have with it is availability of service. Everybody works on MerCruiser. Far fewer on VPs. Check your area.<br /><br />If you're interested, you can see some of the old stuff here... http://www.classicglastron.com/ <br /><br />They provided boats for a couple of Bond flicks. Remember the boats flying over the cop cars? Or the one that Bond flew off the falls? Trons.

borourke

Seaman

Willy,<br /><br />Thanks for the info, that is encouraging information. I have not heard a lot about Glastron in the past, except from the other dealers at the boat show and you can imagine what they were saying.

JasonB

Lieutenant

My two 30 year old trons are still in good shape.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Not that this relates to the rig you are thinking about but in 1975 I got a 19' Glastron. Ran that sucker all over south Florida for 15 years and it was in reasonable shape when I sold it.

Triton II

Commander

Trons have an excellent reputation Downunder!

borourke

Seaman

Thanks all for the info, I am feeling better about the brand, but still unsure about the engine size for the boat. Anyone have any experience with the VP5.0 on a 4400lb boat? Will it get on plane quick, will it pull someone tubing? All the reviews I read speak to the 5.7 having a top end of 42 - 55, but can't find any reviews on the 5.0.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I have a 2002 SX195(2500 lbs) with a 5.7 VP and I wouldn't even consider 5.0 in it, let alone a GS 249. In 24 ft I'd be looking for a big block<br /><br />Glastrons' dealer guide shows the GS249 with 5.0 VP with 15x17 prop at 38 - 41 mph and 0 - 20 mph time of 3.9 sec. With 350 Magnum MPI Mercrusier 14.5x21 SS prop 46 - 49 mph and 0 - 20 in 3.5 sec.

borourke

Seaman

Jimbo that is great info. Can you tell me where you located the Glastron Dealer Guide? Is it online anywhere? I did some searching and did not come across it. :confused:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

It is actually called the Product Specification Manual. I "borrowed" 3 copies from my dealer; 1998, 2001, and 2002 issues.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My next door lake-front neighber has a Glastron 20 footer. I'm impressed with the quality, handling and power. Granted, I don't own it, but I drive it a lot, go out in it quite a bit for the last 4 years. It is powered by the 5.7L, reaches 55mph top end, and pulls a hefty slalom skier out of the water with ease. You'll need the 5.7 on a heavy boat, and you could enjoy the 5.0, but when it's time to sell, an experienced boater won't be around to buy. The only downside with Glastron in recent years is floor rot. Glastron finally agreed to replace my neighbers rotted floor in his 4 YEAR OLD GLASTRON. I believe they now have two different floor/stringer systems (atleast according to their website). Make sure you don't get a great deal on a faulty flooring/stringer system.<br /><br />P.S. I will seriously consider a new Glastron within 2 years.

rwidman

Lieutenant

OK, I can help here, I have the 2003 model of the same boat.<br /><br />First; am I satisfied with the "value"?<br />Yes, it's an inexpensive boat with a lot of features.<br /><br />Quality of construction?<br />The workmanship on my boat is fair at best. The drain in the head compartment would not drain into the shower sump. I removed the trim under the head compartment door to access the drain. There was a cutout that looked as if it was "hacked out" with a series of cuts with a hole saw. The drain hose was installed with a loop preventing the drain from working. I removed the loop and it works now. The radio was stolen out of the cabin and I discovered the cutout once again was poorly done. Same for the dash instrument panel, so much so that some of the screws would not hold. I epoxied small blocks of wood and redrilled the holes. The horn was installed upside down (there's a difference, one way lets water drain out, the other causes it to pool on the contacts). You may have seen pictures of boat electrical systems with everything neatly labeled and wire tied. Not this boat, the wiring behind the dash and the electrical panels is a mess. Things that show are fine.<br /><br />Weight:<br />The website lists the boat (with 5.0 engine) at 4437lb. After towing the boat for two seasons and about 7,000 miles, I had it weighed. On the trailer, the weight was 7260 lb. Subtracting the weight of the trailer, this leaves 6020 lb. Subtracting the published weight of the boat leaves 1583 lb of fuel, water, and miscellaneous". According to my calculations, gas and water should be under 600 lb. Clearly, the published weight is much lower than the actual weight. Because of this, the dealer furnished an undersized trailer and I purchased a vehicle that's marginally rated to tow the boat.<br /><br />Engine choice:<br />I use the boat to cruise with my wife, no tubing, skiing, etc. The boat will reach 40+ mph (GPS) with the Volvo 5.0 and gets on plane in a reasonable time. It came equipped with trim tabs (dealer installed and he installed them backwards!). The decision on upgrading the engine should be based on your intended use. A sea trial might be in order.<br /><br />Summary:<br />My wife and I enjoy the boat, it's comfortable for overnighting, It looks good, and I am able to correct or live with the workmanship issues. Other brands of similar boats may cost $10 - $15K more.<br /><br />Hope this helps. :)

borourke

Seaman

Mr Bill & Ron, Thanks for the excellent info. I am taking it for a test drive a week from today. Going to be a cold one here in Ohio :eek: <br /><br />The craftmanship issues concern me a little, I will make sure I look at as much as I can. If for nothing else maybe I can get them to come down on the price a little.<br /><br />As for the power, I do not ski, but we do tube. My main use will be for crusing. My big concern is I currently have a 23 Searay Sundowner with a 4.3L V6. WAAAAAYYYY under powered boat. If I have 3 or more people on board it can take 30 seconds or more to get on plain. :mad: So I am trying to ensure that I do not have that problem again.<br /><br />The one I am looking at does not come with tabs, but it is something I was thinking about adding. What is your experience on the side to side stability when not using the tabs. My current SeaRay is a little tippy, but I think that is because it is so tall. That year they tried to cram a lot of boat into a small frame.<br /><br />I'll also have to check the weight issue you mentioned. I hope that is an anomoly, I think my '99 Tahoe has a Max towing capacity of 6,500 lbs. I was hoping to stay under that limit, but if what you said was true it looks like I will over by 700lbs.<br /><br />Overall I am happy with the look and can live with going 41 instead of 45 as long as the time to plain is acceptable and ride is good.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Tabs are important on a cruiser of this size; both to get on plane quickly and to compensate for side to side loading or wind and current. If the wind is blowing east and the current or tide is moving west and you are heading north or south the tabs will come in handy. Cost for Bennett tabs would be around $400.00 plus installation or you can do it yourself in a few hours if you are handy.<br /><br />The only way to get an acurate weight is on a scale. I weighed mine at the local recycling center for $5.00. It had full fuel and water tanks at the time which is how you should weigh it.<br /><br />The features that set this boat apart from the others in its price class were; uncluttered deck space with lounge for two, swivel helm seat with flip up bolster, relatively large aft cabin and passageway, and anchor pulpit, roller, and rode storage.<br /><br />Most of the workmanship issues I mentioned would not be noticed by the average owner, never the less, they exist in my particular boat.<br /><br />Best of luck with your trial and I hope you like it.<br /><br />BTW: This model does not use the new moulding process. It's conventional construction.

borourke

Seaman

Thanks Ron, I'll let you know how it goes! I am keeping my fingers crossed.