PIONEER 19' CC Any Good?

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer
Well, I don't know how it happened but my dad just came home from a boat show with a PIONEER 19' CC with a 150 2 stroke. Has anyone had experience with one of these?<br /><br />Mac

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: PIONEER 19' CC Any Good?

Moving to Boat Questions

phatmanmike

Captain

IMG_8346c.jpg
<br /><br /> http://www.pioneerboats.com/ <br /><br />nice looking rig. javent heard too much , if any at all, seems to be a fairly new name in boat world. looks nice and has nice warranty to boot.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

Well, he takes delivery this friday. I'll post back what I think then. It comes stock with a live well, leaning post, all finished lockers and under side of hatches ect and the t-top, nice through hull fittings ect. He went with the Yamaha 150 HPDI. <br /><br />What has my attention is this thing calls for a 25" transom on a 20' boat. It is either going to be a great ride or realy wierd.<br /><br />Mac

phatmanmike

Captain

if the boat has a lot of "V" in the back, or another words, deadrise, than maybe you need a longer shaft to accomodate this. <br /><br />it looks like a very capable boat, being able to take you out and back again on as lil gas as possible.<br /><br />good luck with it, and as always, when a question arises.... iboats.com to the rescue<br /><br />by the way, gime him my two thumbs up for going against everybody else and getting one badazz 2stroke, and not a 4stroke! long live 2 strokes

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />Seems a nice boat on paper. Hope it will be nice also in reality and perform good also on water.<br /><br />If You want to read some more about the Yamaha 150 hp HPDI You have some basic info here:<br /> http://www.yamaha-motor.com/product...1&scid=14&year=2005&cat=HPDI+Series&scat=HPDI <br /><br />Only thing I come to think of when looking at this boat is that there is not much rails and the rails that is in front is rather low. Other than that it is seems to have most things needed for a safe ride. But I can not read on their website if the boat will float if it gets completely filled with water, that is a thing to ask the dealer or manufacturer so You know this.<br /><br />18 degrees deadrise (V shape) at transom is reasonable sharp and should make the boat go trough waves fine.<br /><br />About the 25" transom height - if you look at some pictures at Pioneer boats website You can see the outboard is mounted very high so that is why a 25" long shaft outboard is needed. Not because the boat has very high sides and transom in my opinion. Many boat manufacturer has a lower engine well so an ordinary 20" long shaft outboard can be used. My boat (another make) has that design so a 20" long shaft can be used.<br />I do not know what positive arguments can be for a 25" transom - high and closed transom gives less risk of getting in waves from behind in tailwind. One or two negaitve I can think of is that noise reach much easier the passenger since they have not an outboard well that lower the noice somewhat. Since the outboard is higher the center of gravity gets slightly higher in the boat also (but probably no real life effect).<br /><br />But in general the majority of 150-200 hp and larger has 25" long shaft (some larger outboards even 30") as standard. 115 hp and lower usually has 20" long shaft (and around 40 hp or so 15" can be available).<br />So it is nothing strange this Pioneer boat has a 25" transom.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Low rails are not unusual on U.S. fishing boats intended for inshore use. The lower rails make casting from the bow easier when fishing.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I got a chance to run the boat. I have to say for a 19-20 footer they did a pretty good job. I am still a 1979 Mako owner but this thing looks like it will work out for what my Dad wants to do. Nice finish, all the storage areas are finished. It ran pretty good with the HPDI 150 cruse 3300 rpm @ 24 knots or so, I didn’t hold the hammer down too hard (Still breaking in the motor) and we were up over 43 knots in no time. Lots of midrange punch with the HPDI. I personally would like to see them move the leaning post back a few inches to let my gut have some room and go with the 4 stroke for lots of reasons. All in all I think this one gets the thumbs-up. I just wish it was 5’ longer. <br /><br />Mac

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

On the 4 stroke thing, due to our city council’s asinine decision to make all of the f-ing world no wake zone Saturday & Sunday 9am to 5pm including holidays accept those only observed by certain religious groups but including state holidays not including banking holidays and double fines on leap year or some crap there he has 45 min of no wake before he can open it up and 45 min on the way home. The 2 stroke punch is fun but just a bit nicer to have that 4 stroke purring back there while running cocktail speed. <br /><br />Mac