Off Season Rope Maint

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
Now that it is cold and snow is in the forcast. All our boats are tucked away for their winter nap. What do you guys do for maintainance on your anchor and dock lines? One guy I talked with said to soak them in a washing machine with Woollite and water...then rinse and hang dry. First year with my boat and would like to try to keep my ropes clean and in good working order.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />JustMrWill

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Off Season Rope Maint

You can soak or wash them with anything you want.Just be sure to add some fabric softener to keep the ropes from getting stiff.Charlie

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply...<br /><br />Is there any NEVER DO's?

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

Keeping them dry and out of the sun is the main things.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by crazy charlie:<br /> never use bleach and never put away wet.Charlie
Agree. :) <br /><br />If you want, you can wash them in a washing machine on the gentle cycle if you put them in a mesh bag to keep them from getting tangled.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by crazy charlie:<br /> You can soak or wash them with anything you want.Just be sure to add some fabric softener to keep the ropes from getting stiff.Charlie
Fabric softener...........COOL IDEA!

BillP

Captain

FYI: Here in Florida, nylon and dacron lines last 20+ yrs if just left on the boat without any cleaning or drying. They degrade a little on the outside fibers from the sun but not much or enough to worry about if the lines are sized right. They don't rot from moisture or degrade from mildew or fungus. Stiff (hard lay) lines hockle less than soft (soft lay) lines. Chafe is usually the biggest wear factor.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Im with BillP.<br /><br />Out here in the Med, a good fresh water hose down and a thorough dry is all that's needed.<br /><br />[b[Real men don't need fabric softener!![/b]<br /><br />Ciao.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Stillfishing,with that said,what type of fabric softener do you use???

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't use one, Crazy. Good idea though.<br /><br />Both ropes and suntops are left out to dry completely, and then - if possible, depending on where you store your boat - ropes and suntops are not coiled or wrapped up tight, but left so that air can circulate.<br /><br />I think that one of the worst things you can do to a rope is coil it up and leave it in a rope locker or other box where it can't breathe. Stinks, too.<br /><br />Mind you, real men stink too.

rwidman

Lieutenant

what type of fabric softener do you use???
Anything (liquid, not dryer sheets)in the laundry section of the grocery store will do just fine.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

...in a washing machine on the gentle cycle if you put them in a mesh bag to keep them from getting tangled.<br />
If you put them in tangled, do they come out untangled? :)

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nope!<br /><br />You get three for the price of one.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't forget to sprinkle them with the herbal powder of your choice when they're dry. Makes the spring recomisioning that much more pleasant.<br /><br />Sincerely,<br />Martha Stewart

18rabbit

Captain

Fabric softener is an absolute must when washing ropes...bondage ropes. :D <br /><br />Fwiw, I toss my boat lines into the washing machine with common detergent then hang to dry…after separating the twisted and tangled ball...no big a deal. I gotta try the mesh bag idea...sound good. I don’t use softener tho I can’t see that it could hurt anything. Should leave your lines smelling springtime fresh, too. :)

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Sorry you guys missed the hidden meaning in my question to Stillfishin.Charlie

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What it is, Crazy - real men miss these subtle little things!<br /><br />It's only the pretty boys who catch on. But then, they're too scared to go out in a boat anyway, so they wouldn't read this forum.

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br /> Fabric softener is an absolute must when washing ropes...bondage ropes. :D <br />
How badly soiled do your bondage ropes get?