85 Looper, WTF’s with the fuel system ?????

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 85 Looper, WTF’s with the fuel system ?????

WOT :D <br /><br />I said I'd be back! (on the same post) Hooked up a stupid little inline electric pump over the weekend and she screams now, no breakdown, no surging, even does a "holeshot"! Just wanted to thank all who helped. At least the diagnosos IS fuel. Although everything has been changed, several times! :mad: <br /><br />I didn't remove the old pump either, hooked it up out on the water, so it's outside the cowling, old pump works for startup and idle, but if I want power, I hit the switch! :rolleyes: <br /><br />Is this "fuel assist" type of setup going to hurt anything? Only got a couple of weeks left to the season so I'd like to just leave it alone! Still wondering if compression or lack of had anything to do with the old pumps not working, it's good cold, but then again so's the pump...<br /><br />Happy Hurricane Parties! ;)

lastout

Petty Officer 3rd Class

luna, does this "fuel assist" mean that you only turn the new inline fuel pump on when you are ready to run. have you left it on while idling, and if so did it affect the engine. i'm making note of all this cause it is certainly good to know. thanks!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

By leaving the engine fuel pump "in line" it will act as a regulator, which is good. If you leave the pump running it shouldn't overpower the inlet needles in the carbs. The downside is that the electric pump, when in the "off" position may act as a fuel restriction. Just remember to activate it when youre ready to go.<br /><br />Good job on the research, follow up info and kepping the same thread going. I think the Mod's should give you an "A" on this one. It would be interesting to know what kept causing you all these headaches.<br /><br />Good luck!

johndezman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a year or so ago, i queried a similar problem on a suzuki 200. similar in that i was running out of power sooner than i thaught i should - no surging or stepping down of top rpm's though.<br /><br />my rig, a 30'center console with twin 200 suzuki's is down to 15" pitch to run close to red line when the boat came with 22" pitch.<br /><br />i got talked out of adding the electric pump - maybe i'll try it now on one engine to see what happens.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lastout,<br /><br />I've started it with the electric on, and with the electric off. I've idled if for extended periods with the electric on with the electric off. Doesn't make "much" difference at low rpms or starting. But when I throw that lever all the way down......... :D :D :D <br /><br />Ya know, all I've read on here about primer bulbs (hard enough?, too soft?. ect ), tanks, vents and pumps and so on.... Seems like an item one could throw in his or hers emergency toolbox/getmehomerepairkit! :rolleyes: Didn't even have to pop the cowling! Although I did later on to check for leaks. :p <br /><br />Dhadley, thank you for the positive feedback

lastout

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks luna, i think i will add it to that particular kit, maybe even try it out on a rough runner of mine. thanks again.

kclark1963

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Luna can you tell me how you installed the electric fuel pump please, did you replace the bump bulb with the electric pump? and what psi pump did you go with. I have 2000 115 hp V4 Johnson. I have a post dated Sept 27th 2003<br />by kclark your information would be appreciated<br /><br />Thank you in advance<br /><br />Kevin