boat engines vs car engines

Jkurtz29

Seaman Apprentice
I know this questions is not appropriate for this fourm but I have to ask. Why in the heck can't outboard manufacturers make engines that last like a car's engine? A car will run for miles and miles for years and years. Outboards can't go a freaking month without something going wrong. I guess that's why everyone referres to their boats/engines as women. :rolleyes:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: boat engines vs car engines

If an outboard is set up properly so the load on the motor is correct, like a car not towing anything, and is driven everyday, like a car, it will last several thousand hours -- no problem. That translates into many years. <br /><br />Let your car sit for 6 months or more each year and see what happens. Hook a 6000 lb trailer to a new "you-peddel-it" and see what happens.<br /><br />I have several V6 crossflows from the early 80's and newer and they all run fine. The last time I tore up a piston was in my race boat and that was self induced.<br /><br />Once you compare apples to apples it sometimes sems amazing outboards last as long as they do.

Jkurtz29

Seaman Apprentice

Dhad, thanks for the reply. <br /><br />I really respect you and everyone that participates in the Forum. Thanks to everyone here, I have learned so much about engines in my first 5 months of owning one. Finding this place has been a gift!<br /><br />Jason

Walker

Captain

And how many people do you know that drive WFO all the time? Too many boaters run their outboards WFO all the time.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I agree with DH. Your car engine is treated COMPLETELY differently from your boat engine. Here are a few common things...<br /><br />Most people change the oil in their car on a regular basis, where-as you might change the gear oil in your motor's lower unit once a season.<br /><br />It's likely that your car's engine gets run at least 6-days (or more) out of seven, where-as your outboard may get run only on weekends.<br /><br />Rarely does a car driver have to drop the hammer and go from zero-to top speed as quickly as possible. Even if you do accelerate rapidly, how often do you red-line it between gears? Ask a water skiier if a slow, gentle acceleration works for them...<br /><br />Even if a car is left un-attended for long periods, it's internals were liberally slathered with oil the last time it was run. You'd be surprised how little oil residue is left inside your outboard running on 50:1 mix, and even less if you've got oil injection. Condensation starts almost immediately, and if you don't fog it any exposed internal surfaces can and will rust. <br /><br />How often do you run your car at maximum revs? Most people never do. How often do you run your outboard at maximum revs? Most people do quite freqently. The harder you run something the more likely something will eventually fail.<br /><br />If your tire loses a balancing weight, you notice the vibration and you'll likely get it fixed fairly quickly. However, you'd be surprised how many people look at that ding in the prop and assess it as "not that bad" and continue to run it. The imbalanced tire isn't likely to take out your car's engine, but an imbalanced prop can take out your lower unit in a hurry.<br /><br />I've got a 1980 Johnson Stinger 75 with well over 1000 (10 years) hours on a rebuild. I bought it from the original owner who hadn't replaced the waterpump, allowing the motor to cook, taking the top cylinder with it. I checked the compression at the beginning of the season and it read dead-on even 145psi across the board. I use good quality oil, I decarb once a season, and I change the gear oil every 50 hours. I run double oil the last tank of the season AND I use fogging oil when I lay it up, so there's plenty of lubrication inside to protect the bearings, crankshaft and cylinder walls. I replace the waterpump impeller every three years and I check to see that it's pissing out EVERY trip. I also own, and USE a navigation chart - which helps prevent the whole imbalanced prop scenario. I also carry a spare prop and the tools to change it.<br /><br />I take care of the ol' Stinger and it's taken care of me...<br />- Scott

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I must add that the newest wave of DI engines are incredibly reliable. They are stronger, faster and more economical than anything in the past. It wasnt that long ago that if you had a 23 foot bluewater deal with a single engine and could get 1 mile per gallon, you were doing good. Today its not unusual to see over 3 mpg on the same type hull. <br /><br />Advances in hull design, hull construction and propeller technology hasnt hurt either.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to General Outboard Discussion.