solinoid problems?

wenzel

Cadet
I cant seem to get power to the starter. poower goes into solinoid but no power to starter. Is there a way to check the solinoid? This is on a 1068 55 hp evinrude. I have checked continuity in the nuetral safety switch and it seems to be fine. Any help would be appriciated . NEWBEE :( :confused:

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer
Re: solinoid problems?

does it click when the key is turned. i though the solenoid was bad but turned out to be the switch

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Short the two large leads from the solenoid together. This will tell you if the solenoid works or not.<br /><br />TMD

ob

Admiral

Actually to "test" solenoid operation you need to jump from the large "hot" cable side of the solenoid to the small ignition terminal of solenoid.Connecting the two large leads is jumping (bypassing)the solenoid.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

OB<br /><br />Reread original post...Poster claims that power makes it to the solenoid..but no further.<br /><br />By shorting the two large posts together...we can safely say that the solenoid is the problem. If the starter works.<br /><br />TMD

ob

Admiral

Negative.You can definately condemn it by jumping from the large hot cable to the ignition terminal.That is if he is in fact getting a solid 12V to cable.Sounds to me as if original post is saying that he is getting voltage to the large cable on inlet side of solenoid.Whatever.

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

i think OB is right. connecting the two large leads will bypass the solenoid altogether. you have to go from battery side to the small ignition post to test. bypassing is used for checking the starter.<br /><br />Also make sure it is properly grounded.

wenzel

Cadet

Yes i do have 12 volts going to the solinoid and at the small ignition wire on solinoid. Power to switch is present. also to electric choke. just not getting power to starter. have bypassed starter and it works. I think it may be a ground but i have checked the safety switch and it has continuity. so i think the safety switch is working. just do not know about this solinoid.

ob

Admiral

So , jump from the hot large cable of the solenoid to the small ignition terminal and see if the starter cranks.If not ,your solenoid went south.If Starter does turn over your problem is in the ignition switch ,nuetral safety circuit,or wiring .<br /><br />You also need to insure that the engine block ground lugs are clean and tight by loosening them and cleaning with a wire brush or abbraisive and re-attaching.A bad ground has been the reason for more than a couple of starters not cranking.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Sorry I was assuming that when the owner said the power was going into the solenoid that they ment it was power to the small post.<br /><br />TMD

ob

Admiral

Hey Marine Doctor,wenzel stated in his last post that he "was" getting voltage to the small terminal afterall.If it were mine I would just jump from the hot cable on the solenoid to the terminal and see if starter cranks.<br />I harbor no smug feelings and look forward to participating with you on this and other threads.Nice having you and your knowledge around.<br /><br />Some of these seemingly basic problems are made difficult by the sheer fact that we are all commenting sight unseen.That in itself is challenging. ;)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Dang OB if you didn't get that right !!!

wenzel

Cadet

thanks gentlemen it appears my silenoid went south. will have to order one. :cool:

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Yes...we have to remeber, what may be easy for us to do might be difficult for other to do...as we have done it many times before.<br /><br />And yes..sometimes its more of a challenge trying to figure out what the person says..rather than the problem. It's not like at work...where you can kinda prod them along to get to know what has or has not been done. Or the real symptoms for that matter.<br /><br />TMD