tach for an outboard?

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer
Ok folks I posted this one already, but I came back to see the thread had gotten moofed, and lost in cyberspace. I have a 1995 28 hp johnson spl, on a 16' sylvan aluminum.I just had my prop fixed and repitched, usually needs to get repaired once a yr:)its a 9x12 prop........ I installed a wooden floor in the boat, It dropped my speed from 32 down to 27, which is plenty fast for me. The problem is when I take the family kids tubing, it had a hard time getting on plane...........I talked to the prop shop and they talked me into a used repaired 9x10 prop, my worry is over revving the motor. I was told since I have a electric start and throttle controls, wiring should be in the harness for a tach, I looked at my throttle/ ignition box and found a 3 pin plastic male connector. Is this the wiring for a tach? I also wondered what is a safe rpm for w.o.t for this motor, it seems to humm pretty good with my 12 pitch prop on and that makes me a little nervous with the 10 pitch prop.<br /> On a side note, I just took the carb of and rebuilt it, took a couple of hrs, but what a difference it made, its running the best since I bought it............. :)

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: tach for an outboard?

I just bought a new 30hp Johnson. WOT is 5200-5800 rpm. The 25 hp engine is lower, 4500-5500.

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info lark, anybody know about that harness I was describing.......... its kinda looks like this __ -- __ 3 terminals, all horizontal, with blue,red and green wires all of them with a white stripe on the wire, left to right.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Do not know your harness. I've installed a TinyTach twice (Honda BF35 and a lawnmower). It's very easy and it works great.<br /><br />It is a small digital tach - price under $37.<br /><br />www.tinytach.com